You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher crashing too often

Thanks NNN for the suggestion, but I think it might be too late now, as I used an old version of InDesign and not sure if IDML was available then.

I also remember with every new version of Indesign, older ones could not read their own previous format, which was annoyance for my printers with older versions, so they advised me to always save it in PDF.

Hi Dan C,

Not sure if this will be of any use, but I thought I report my current situation with the (not)crashing of Affinity Publisher.

I am actually still working very hard, many hours without breaks, using the official version 1.10.4, and I am using the Shift+arrows to highlight text, as before, but I have not had a crash yet since the last one I reported 6 days ago. 

The change I made, I increased the memory usage in the Preferences, from 32GB to 48GB. 

I am not sure how this is done, as I have physically only 32GB of RAM, but I noticed there are no crashes so far.

If anything changes I will report it, but I thought this might help your developers narrow down the real problem.

Cheers.

Affinity Publisher increase of memory usage.png

It crashes when the timer (__NSFireTimer) tries to call the TextTool, so overall a bad memory access crash in this case!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• Staff

Thanks for the update and the new crash report provided, I have forwarded these to the development log for this issue.

On 2/12/2022 at 3:30 PM, v_kyr said:

It crashes when the timer (__NSFireTimer) tries to call the TextTool, so overall a bad memory access crash in this case!

From the brief discussion I had with our developers regarding this, they came to a similar conclusion - and this might explain why increasing your RAM limit in Affinity has improved the reliability of the app for you, at least somewhat :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @vdamjanovski!

Unfortunately there's been no further development update to the bug report currently, so although 1.10.5 does not directly address this issue,  I'll be sure to inform you here when that changes :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dan C again,

FYI, and just in case it helps your developers, today I had my first crash of the dreaded text editing in Affinity Publisher, this time with the latest official update 1.10.5.

Attached is a PDF of the test crash report.

Hopefully, a fix for this issue is coming in the next update.

Thanks.

Affinity Publisher new crash 1.10.5.pdf

• Staff

Many thanks for letting me know and I'm certainly sorry to hear this - although it does sound as though the frequency of these crashes has reduced?

I'll be sure to update the development log with the latest version of the Affinity app this affects, and a copy of the crash report above :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @vdamjanovski,

Thanks for your updated crash reports and I'm sorry to see the app is still crashing for you.

I can confirm that our developers are still investigating this issue as they believe to have found a cause/trigger and are currently working to improve this area of the codebase to reduce these crashes in future versions.

Unfortunately however I'm unable to provide a more specific timescale for this at this time. Many thanks for your continued understanding and patience here.

Please note -

Many thanks!

29 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Hi @vdamjanovski,

Thanks for your updated crash reports and I'm sorry to see the app is still crashing for you.

I can confirm that our developers are still investigating this issue as they believe to have found a cause/trigger and are currently working to improve this area of the codebase to reduce these crashes in future versions.

Why not trying to improve it to the point it does not crash anymore.... not just less often... ;-)

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dan C & Affinity Publisher developers,

Today I got yet another crash of Affinity Publisher v.1.10.5, on a Mac Monterey. Happened during text editing on my book, as before.

The previous crash happened on the 17th May, two weeks ago.

Each time while making even the smallest change editing I have been saving, on a daily basis.

After each day work, Affinity Publisher was correctly closed and computer shut down.

This is now happening for half a year, admittedly not as often, but still happening unpredictably.

I am always worried about possible corruption of the whole book (around 600 pages, 1GB ).

I make duplicates all the time, have already 60 prior copies, and  I am nervous with every new unpredicted crash. 

I don't think this is how Publisher should be running on a new Mac machine (Intel) with 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD, etc...

Can I please kindly request the developers to really take it seriously and update the software with the fix soon?

P.S. Does this happen with the M1 Macs? I am even contemplating buying (yet another) a new Mac if this is the case...

Affinity Publisher v.1.10.5 another crash .pdf

• Staff

Hi @vdamjanovski,

Apologies for the delayed response, as it was a 4 day weekend here in the UK last week.

I'm sorry to hear you're still experiencing this issue, unfortunately I can confirm this is a bug within the Affinity app itself and therefore a new mac (M1 or otherwise) won't resolve the crash.

Thus far we’ve not been able to replicate the issue exactly internally, though I can confirm our developers have added some fixes to the app codebase to hopefully improve this for our users in the future - however, we have no ETA for when an update will be released currently, my apologies.

I will be sure to inform our dev team that these fixes are being request ASAP, as I can certainly understand your hesitation with your document.

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

Many thanks!