You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo desktop (Win 10) freezing up not saving work

Hello,

I have been using Affinity Photo for a couple years now, recently after Affinity Photo 1.9 and also in 1.10 AF starts to freeze up and will no longer save my work. After some time of editing, maybe 30 minutes or so I try to save a photo and it won't save, it acts like it saves but the photo is nowhere to be found. Then, eventually I get the spinning wheel and have to end task on AF. I have a Dell Precision 5560, 8 core, 16 processor i7-11850 @2.5GH with 32GB RAM and no issues with any other app, and no issues with any other photo editing app only AF. AF is basically useless to me right now. Anyone else experiencing the same or similar issues?

Freezing happens so often now it's ridiculous!!

Developers seem to be ignoring the issue other than to say "turn off hardware acceleration" (not referring to you @RichardMH), even though it is clearly not the (main?) problem; and who couldn't possibly write poor code, could they. SO much time being wasted having to redo edits.

9 hours ago, henryg said:

Developers seem to be ignoring the issue other than to say "turn off hardware acceleration" ...

I do not believe they are ignoring this issue. It is more that there are a huge number of GPU & driver combinations possible & some of them work fine with hardware acceleration while others do not. Tracking down why each of the combos that do not work don't work, & coming up with a fix for each of them is not quick or simple -- there is apparently no one solution that will fix all of them.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I think the default setting should be off. Then users can turn it on to see if it will work without problems for them. Also that way, the user would know when their apps start acting up, what is causing it, and shut it off. Instead of all the time spent on the forums, trying to figure out why. They could still report their issue on the forum, but at least they would have a real good idea from the start.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

15 minutes ago, Ron P. said:

I think the default setting should be off.

Maybe, but I think it should depend on how many users actually have problems with it. We don't really know what those numbers are since users that don't have any problems with it are not as likely to mention that as the ones who are.

By now, there should be several hundred thousand AP users so maybe the problem is much rarer than it seems ... or not. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

17 hours ago, R C-R said:

I do not believe they are ignoring this issue. It is more that there are a huge number of GPU & driver combinations possible & some of them work fine with hardware acceleration while others do not. Tracking down why each of the combos that do not work don't work, & coming up with a fix for each of them is not quick or simple -- there is apparently no one solution that will fix all of them.

I am running with standard MS drivers for my i5-8500 processor; no graphics card; and no hardware acceleration. Affinity Photo is freezing at some point every time I use it! And I have reinstalled the program.

So if it doesn't work properly in my situation, when will it (rhetorical).

4 hours ago, henryg said:

I am running with standard MS drivers for my i5-8500 processor; no graphics card; and no hardware acceleration. Affinity Photo is freezing at some point every time I use it! And I have reinstalled the program.

There are other reasons for the app freezing besides driver related issues. Resetting the app (the CTRL-start option) might help.

Affinity Photo 

• 4 months later...

Ditto. What is going on with Affinity Photo? At one time I never had any issues at all. Now it freezes on a regular basis - I think after I have done a certain amount of work with it (usually, it does provide a recovery file, but not always). I suspect it started with the release of a particular version. Turning off hardware acceleration has stopped some really weird things happening but not the freezing. Is there a compatibility issue with the graphics card, perhaps (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER)?