You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Open from Cloud sticks on “Downloading” with onedrive with iPad

Del H

If I open a jpg photo from Onedrive, Affinity Photo 1.10.3 gets stuck on “Downloading”.  I’m doing “Open from cloud”.

It’s not all files but also doesn’t seem to related to specific files.  Maybe 30% success rate.

Edit:  Trying some more, I can’t open anything from Onedrive now - or the sample images….

Edited by Del H
Extra information

22 hours ago, Del H said:

If I open a jpg photo from Onedrive, Affinity Photo 1.10.3 gets stuck on “Downloading”.  I’m doing “Open from cloud”.

It’s not all files but also doesn’t seem to related to specific files.  Maybe 30% success rate.

Edit:  Trying some more, I can’t open anything from Onedrive now - or the sample images….

You could try going into the Onedrive app and ensuring the files you want to access in Affinity are downloaded first. The best way is to use iCloud rather than any of the other cloud services which have been a lot more hit and miss on the iPad over the years.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

Hi Paul.  Thanks for the suggestion - if I do “open with other app” and pick Affinity Photo from within Onedrive, it works ok.  Presumably this is because it’s downloading to transfer as you said.
I’m a bit too embedded with Onedrive as I also use a windows laptop - something to bear in mind though. 
Thanks again. 

I've seen other reports (and not just for iPad) that lead me to speculate that when OneDrive is configured to leave files "in the cloud" until they are needed, they cannot be accessed by the Affinity applications. Apparently something that Affinity does during the process of Opening the file is not sufficient to trigger OneDrive to begin the transfer.

If you can successfully Open a file from Affinity that has already been downloaded to your machine by OneDrive, but cannot Open one that is still in the OneDrive cloud, that may be what you're seeing, too.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi Walt, thanks for input.  Yeah sounds like what’s happening - Affinity somehow not getting OneDrive to properly transfer the files.  The workaround seems to work where you just open from within Onedrive - then it gets handled properly.

It’d be nice to see it handled properly by Affinity though - or official workaround. 

On the other point, I still can’t download any of the supplied samples.  I’ll do some more research on that as probably unrelated. 

2 hours ago, Del H said:

On the other point, I still can’t download any of the supplied samples.

What sample images are you talking about?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On the main screen at start up there are your files, the tutorials and some sample images.  It’s these sample images that hang. I've seen reports of similar in other Affinity apps so maybe the same issue. You just get a message saying “downloading sample” for a couple of minutes then “an unknown error occurred downloading the samples”. 

Another thread I read: