You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer crashing whenever I Use export persona

the App is great!!  Don't get me wrong..   the Update is underwhelming.   If we are to pay for an upgrade, them, previous bugs needed to be fixed..    
it seems to me that the the team writing new code is awesome and the one squashing bugs is something else!!!  

I reported this issed on  December 30, 2021

It is still happening.  

@Affinity Designer @Affinity Support

Is any management reading this forums..   

Willy Pimentel
M1 Imac 16gb Mac os Ventura Latest 

Just now, Willy Pimentel said:

the App is great!!  Don't get me wrong..   the Update is underwhelming.   If we are to pay for an upgrade, them, previous bugs needed to be fixed..    
it seems to me that the the team writing new code is awesome and the one squashing bugs is something else!!!  

I reported this issed on  December 30, 2021

It is still happening.  

@Ash @Tony B @MattP @MEB 

Willy Pimentel

• Staff

Can I ask what version of macOS you're on? I can see the original report was against Monterey (macOS 12.1) - but I absolutely cannot reproduce this error... it just asks me if I'd like to overwrite the files and then exports when I say to... (for reference, I'm currently on macOS Ventura)

25 minutes ago, MattP said:

Can I ask what version of macOS you're on? I can see the original report was against Monterey (macOS 12.1) - but I absolutely cannot reproduce this error... it just asks me if I'd like to overwrite the files and then exports when I say to... (for reference, I'm currently on macOS Ventura)

Hi Matt,

I'm now on Ventura 13.0.1 (22A400) and still experiencing the same problem with Designer V1 and V2 Trial. It happens pretty much all the time making my workflow a pain in the arse.

Just now, norbinw said:

It's ongoing since Monterey.. You need to have some sort of cloud app installed. Try installing Google Drive. Then restart your mac, start designer, and save some files. Eventually you will have it, sometimes it takes 2 saves to beachball for me.

Both V1 and V2, now on Ventura, intel MBP 16".

Hi, it makes no difference my end as well as for many others who have commented on similar posts (Here and also here). Whether I use my GoogleDrive, local storage, whatever...it crashes.

hi, Unfortunately I confirm the issue as well: no change with V2 apps.more than that, it just happened in Publisher v2 too. When I tried to export a pdf, (Print Dialogue--print as a pdf) the app freezed when changing the implicit folder. 

tha same as Aff Designer(1 and 2). Now I m on Ventura, but it happened before as well.

If moderators from Affinity are already stopping by to take care of this, I'll have to make some effort to get this nasty bug fixed.

I think I finally can identify it, because I can reproduce it now!

What I had tried after reading some solutions in the forum (Some information for the programmers to rule things out):

- Background programs: Whether I run other programs, in the background or not, the bug remains.
- OpenCL support on/off does not change the crash of Designer.
- Whether I use a network drive as export location or not (Dropbox, Seadrive, etc...) does not change the behavior.
- Changing the location of the original .afdesigner file to a local drive also has no positive effect.
- crashpad_handler.exe should, if I understood correctly, create a log file. I do have log files in the crash report folder, but not for this bug. Today, not a single crash report was created, although designer had crashed many times in a row while bug hunting.

Observation:
- Designer crashes exclusively in the Export Persona.
- Windows or MacOS is irrelevant because the same problem occurs on both systems.

Reproduction: 
- What I found is, that the crash only happens when the same slicename is used twice, (the yellow attention icon is visible) and I'm scrolling with the mouse wheel!!! Even if I go through the list of slices using the left mouse button and the scrollbar, Designer does not crash. It only happens when I use the mouse wheel!

That's the pain in a programmer's life! I can't blame them for not being able to track down and fix the problem so far. Thank you guys for fixing it in advance! 😉

If anyone thinks, I have earned myself a free v2 License, I wouldn't say "no". 😜

Cheers!

Edited by Bjulin

2 hours ago, MattP said:

Both, monterey and ventura, in ventura it worked only afret fresh restart, on monterey it happens all the time except exporting to local hard drive. 

1 hour ago, Heinrichdsf said:

This isn't the case for me. Each time the slice name has been unique.

I just double checked that I can reproduce the behavior on my machine.
Even though it is different on @Heinrichdsf's machine, it crashes on mine as described in my last post. If all names are unique, designer does not crash here.

I hope this points in the right direction to track down the bug!

A couple workarounds that have reduced the number of crashes for me:

1. Closing the file more often. Whenever I stop working on a file for a while, I close it. This alone has significantly reduced the number of freezes for me. Sometimes, I even fully close down the app. I used to have 3-5 crashes a day; it's now down maybe once a week.
  2. Before selecting Export Persona, I go into "Save as..." and select the folder that I'm planning to export into. I then click "cancel" without actually saving. This way, when I enter the Export persona, it will directly open that same folder when exporting, thus reducing the number of crashes that often occur when navigating the folders.

I have now purchased V2, but I haven't used it enough to see if it'll crash.

1 hour ago, norbinw said:

I have never used same slice name, it's not even possible to export that way, as It overwrites? I always rename my artboards, so that's not the issue for my crashes. If that happens to you, that's another bug of this bug..

It is possible that there are two or more bugs at work here. According to the reports, it actually seems to be the case... 

• Staff
On 11/12/2022 at 4:04 PM, Willy Pimentel said:

It is still happening.  

@Affinity Designer @Affinity Support

Just an FYI, please do not tag these users to receive a response.

'@Affinity Designer' is not a staff member, and '@Affinity Support' is not a manned account, it's used for our teams automation purposes.

If you require assistance in a thread that has previously received a response from a moderator, please tag that moderator - in this case it would be @DWright.

As Matt has confirmed above, this issue is logged with our development team for further investigation and we apologise for any inconveniences caused due to this in the meantime.

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

On 11/15/2022 at 6:17 AM, MattP said:

I am Using the Latest macos Ventura 13.0.1, iMac Apple M1,  16 GB.

I am using Icloud as my desktop folder

It is a problem if you guys cannot reproduce this problem.  It has been ongoing forever on M1s mac when using iCloud as your desktop folder

Willy Pimentel

1 hour ago, Dan C said:

Just an FYI, please do not tag these users to receive a response.

'@Affinity Designer' is not a staff member, and '@Affinity Support' is not a manned account, it's used for our teams automation purposes.

If you require assistance in a thread that has previously received a response from a moderator, please tag that moderator - in this case it would be @DWright.

As Matt has confirmed above, this issue is logged with our development team for further investigation and we apologise for any inconveniences caused due to this in the meantime.

I have send a email to support, to the people on the board and to these board.  

It is a shame this issues were not solved on V2 when so many people are having this issues.

One Good Thing is:  Thanks @Dan C for replaying my email. 

Willy Pimentel

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am like the biggest cheerleader and i want affinity to succeed, I just seems that the company now is not listening to users.   I pains me to report that once again, The bug on Imacs M1 Using Icloud desktop crashing whenever you use export persona continues in the latest update!!  

Willy Pimentel

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

@Willy Pimentel, I'm certainly sorry to hear you feel this way - I can confirm that this issue is still logged with our developers, however I am in the process of once again bringing this to their attention to request an immediate fix, as I absolutely appreciate how critical this issue can be.

Should our team require any further information, we'll be sure to respond to you here and we appreciate your continued patience and understanding in the meantime.

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

It's now been a few months since I upgraded to V2, and I can confirm that the export issues still plague my Affinity Designer and Photo when I'm in Export Persona.

I have a Macbook M1 (Monterey 12.6).

I never had this issue with Affinity pre-M1, but once I upgraded to Affinity V1 optimized for M1 the crashes started to happen. I was hoping for V2 to solve the issues, but they still came back.

So far, the only workaround that have reduced the number of occurrences is selecting the folder I want to export to by first pretend-saving the file to that same folder—that way the correct folder is brought up when I want to export. That only works sometimes, however.

Another possible workaround (works here) is exporting 1 slice only by clicking little export icon on the slice, first. After that, exports en masse usually work.

+this is V1 bug thread, But, yeah, It has been too long.

Alex

Mac Mini M1, mac OS Ventura

Affiñititos, how about a roadmap? (but with v2.1 efforts ... massive, tremendous improvement!)

5 hours ago, Aleksandar Kovač said:

Another possible workaround (works here) is exporting 1 slice only by clicking little export icon on the slice, first. After that, exports en masse usually work.

+this is V1 bug thread, But, yeah, It has been too long.

Oh interesting, I wonder if this is similar to my "pretend"-save method in that it's making the app find the right folder first (bc you're exporting only 1 slice). I'll see if exporting 1 slice at a time works better. Thanks for the heads up!

• 4 weeks later...

I too am struggling with this issue and ways around it. I thought it was linked to dropbox and similar to Publisher's inability to find resources (which has been nicely fixed).

I am a big fan of using the export persona and continuous updating and as many have mentioned saving elsewhere sometimes resets, but having to save elsewhere and copy back over to where they belong kind of defeats the object of allowing it to continually update your resources. 

Seems impossible to get back to the save folder, navigating through the parent folder always locks up Designer and forced quitting and restarting the app doesn't repair it.  Very frustrating and unnecessarily time consuming issue. I was sure that this was working for a while and has returned in an update (I may be wrong…?)

Mac Studio M1 Max 32GB RAM running Sonoma 14.2.1
ASUS ProArt screen and Hewlett Packard HD second screen. 
Affinity Suite 2.4.0 and Beta releases