You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer crashing whenever I Use export persona

I open a design.  I go to Export persona.  Export the designs.  I saves the pdfs.  Fine=, It works as advertised.  

Now, I make a correction=> save the document + Go to export persona=> try exporting the same files =>. 

It crashes!!!  

here is the video....

Hopefully Affinity can see this because I am tired of sending reports to apple and it leads nowhere

Willy Pimentel
M1 Imac 16gb Mac os Ventura Latest 

On 1/7/2022 at 8:15 AM, Willy Pimentel said:

I open a design.  I go to Export persona.  Export the designs.  I saves the pdfs.  Fine=, It works as advertised.  

What I see is that there was a location chosen then there was an attempt made to export and overwrite the already existing files in that directory. I saw no indication that it was successful. You didn't check the creation date on the files in the directory or even open the files you exported.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

5 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

What I see is that there was a location chosen then there was an attempt made to export and overwrite the already existing files in that directory. I saw no indication that it was successful. You didn't check the creation date on the files in the directory or even open the files you exported.

Well, The first try always work because there is no previous file there.  when it tries to overwrite the files _>>.  it fails...     It spins continuously and I have to escape from it.

Happens all the time on my computer...

Willy Pimentel

6 minutes ago, Willy Pimentel said:

Well, The first try always work because there is no previous file there.  when it tries to overwrite the files _>>.  it fails...     It spins continuously and I have to escape from it.

The movie showed the PDF files there in "Thunder Restoration" (By the way, where is that directory) when you first export them at about 8 seconds.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 1 month later...

I can confirm. Attempting to export JPEG slices by clicking on 'Export slices' on 'Slices' palette crashes Designer. Crash manifests as spinning ball, Designer becomes completely unresponsive... and then only Force quit works.

Observed on on Designer 1.10.4 and beta 1.10.5.1

The file in this case is multi-spread file with master pages, it has been to Publisher and back to Designer. How about others?

Alex

Mac Mini M1, mac OS Ventura

Affiñititos, how about a roadmap? (but with v2.1 efforts ... massive, tremendous improvement!)

I'm having the same issues—quite randomly and suddenly. The thing I noticed is that it began happening after I did the following:

1. Finish artwork with multiple art boards.
2. Go to Export Persona. I see that the slices' names are not the same as the art boards, which I renamed earlier.
3. Under "Slices", I select and delete all slices (except background).
4. Under "Layers", I select all artboards and click "create slice", thereby updating all slices to the correct names.
5. I set export parameters for the slices, and click "Export Slices"
6. App freezes as soon as the "Select folder" window opens up.
7. I force quit app. Restart app doesn't always work. Restarting my computer usually works, but freezing may occur again, always at the same spot—the "Select folder" window.

I'm on Mac OS Monterey, ver. 12.2.1, but the issue started happening shortly before the update. I updated my Mac hoping the issue would go away.

Slight update:

I continued to have issues even when I turn off hardware acceleration (as hinted elsewhere as a possible solution).

However, I seemed to have solved the issue by going into preferences > performance > Display and changing it from "OpenGL" to "OpenGL (Basic)" (which requires a restart of the app).

• 7 months later...
On 2/19/2022 at 3:51 PM, Lomeinhu said:

I'm having the same issues—quite randomly and suddenly. The thing I noticed is that it began happening after I did the following:

1. Finish artwork with multiple art boards.
2. Go to Export Persona. I see that the slices' names are not the same as the art boards, which I renamed earlier.
3. Under "Slices", I select and delete all slices (except background).
4. Under "Layers", I select all artboards and click "create slice", thereby updating all slices to the correct names.
5. I set export parameters for the slices, and click "Export Slices"
6. App freezes as soon as the "Select folder" window opens up.
7. I force quit app. Restart app doesn't always work. Restarting my computer usually works, but freezing may occur again, always at the same spot—the "Select folder" window.

I'm on Mac OS Monterey, ver. 12.2.1, but the issue started happening shortly before the update. I updated my Mac hoping the issue would go away.

hello, I have exactly the same problem, as you described. The Open GL(basic) option does not solve the issue. Are there any updates so far, regarding this? I m running Aff D 1.10.5 version on mac mini M1. Thank you in advance.  

6 minutes ago, Baril said:

hello, I have exactly the same problem, as you described. The Open GL(basic) option does not solve the issue. Are there any updates so far, regarding this? I m running Aff D 1.10.5 version on mac mini M1. Thank you in advance.  

Unfortunately, shortly after the problem seemed to go away, it has come back for me as well. The crashes are seemingly random, but the silver lining is that most of the time an app restart or computer restart helps.

Another anecdotally possible solution: turn off other Affinity apps and any other apps that are resource hogs like Chrome. When I run only Designer, the instances seem to be less frequent. Good luck!

Affinity aps are very unstable with M1 Macs using the export persona.  This is very frustrating fter we have been accustomed to great software engineering.    Let hope they fix this on the upcoming release....   For now, they know this is happening and nothing have been done

Willy Pimentel

1 hour ago, Willy Pimentel said:

Affinity aps are very unstable with M1 Macs using the export persona.  This is very frustrating fter we have been accustomed to great software engineering.    Let hope they fix this on the upcoming release....   For now, they know this is happening and nothing have been done

I hope so. This has been an issue ever since I picked up my M1. The only saving grace is that after restart, Designer—knock on wood—recovers the file. Still, I make it a habit to save often and always before I go into Export persona.

I have the same problem on MacBook Pro on Intel, so it is not related only on M1. Anytime i try export vie export persona after some time of working on it, it freezes at the window where you select location for your files. After fresh restart of Designer it works well, after a while of work it crashes again. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have had the same problem for quite some time. I can't figure out what the problem is. Interestingly, designer still responds to the quit command and asks if I want to save - but then it's over. I can't confirm the save dialog anymore. I have to quit the task entirely....

Win10 machine

Well at least you payed for V2. By 2023 november, maybe they will fix the export crash and save to external ssd/hdd corrupion. V1 will not be fixed anymore as there will be no more updates. Cool, huh?

Meaning V2 is acutually a V1 with some new tools, and same bugs. How on earth can they be so stupid???????? Not fixing at least these saving bugs, but even more, including them in V2 aswell. I bet even exporting artboard with bleed to TIFF will still give me white bleed instead of actual bleed content :)))

5 minutes ago, norbinw said:

Well at least you payed for V2. By 2023 november, maybe they will fix the export crash and save to external ssd/hdd corrupion. V1 will not be fixed anymore as there will be no more updates. Cool, huh?

Meaning V2 is acutually a V1 with some new tools, and same bugs. How on earth can they be so stupid???????? Not fixing at least these saving bugs, but even more, including them in V2 aswell. I bet even exporting artboard with bleed to TIFF will still give me white bleed instead of actual bleed content :)))

Yes, i just paid whole multilicence of V2  in hope that they fixed old errors from V1 ... NOPE...

It only works after you force close the app, so after 1-2 force closes it doesn't matter, it won't happen again for some time. 

Man this app is plain poop!! Can't believe after 2 years of using it, it only gets worse and worse. I'm extremele frustrated as my workflow is slower and worse now. 

Both print and online work. Selection is buggy, strokes are buggy, saving is buggy, export is buggy, bleed is buggy, moving some shapes is buggy, changing color selection "menu" to HSL is buggy, reverting to CMYK after a print file re-opens, and so on and so on.. 

Worst part is it takes them AGES to fix 1 bug. The bleed bug is present since I started using the app, you can't export bleed from artboard to TIFF.. It's FKING WORK BREAKING STUFF, as some print companies ask for tiff file, and I can't give it to them.. Have to export to raster pdf, then convert to TIFF. 2 years of ongoing issue, and they don't care. 

If this app were a game, it would be Battlefield 2042! Riddled with bugs, and you purchase with the hope of being fixed with time. This is bad mentality!