You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Best hardware for Affinity Software

My used-to-be-the-most-powerful laptop back in the day is now labouring under my graphics work. What should be done in a click of the trackball button is now a click, up to 1 hour and several cups of green tea later. Truth to tell, I bought the laptop for programming and database development and it's not cut out for high resource using graphics. So, I need to start planning for a powerful desktop for my Affinity Software and digital art etc.

I'm a Windows user for many reasons (only had an Mac G5 once and that was for programming on a Mac) so looking towards a mostly Windows solution.

What hardware do other Affinity afficionados use and would recommend?

What experiences have you had with different types of hardware (graphics cards, CPU, RAM, SSD vs HDD)?

Well, for a best desktop hardware you usually choose the most powerful components (CPU, GPU, fast and much RAM, fast bigger sized SSD, silent but strong power supply) inside your budget, place those on a matching capable MoBo and a not too small volume size, quite casing due to cooling aspects. - The critical factor here will be always the GPU due to the fact that Affinity software has a bunch of GPU based hardware acceleration problems with most GPU vendors OpenCL drivers (and due to the fact that GPUs have rised high on pricing during Corona times and low availability on the market. The later applies now and yet basically for all hardware components aka CPU, GPU, MoBo, SSD etc.).

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

9 hours ago, v_kyr said:

The critical factor here will be always the GPU due to the fact that Affinity software has a bunch of GPU based hardware acceleration problems with most GPU vendors OpenCL drivers 

Great, I'll Youtube that. I want decent algorithms for processing graphical data.

And SSD sounds like the way to go over HDD. Makes sense I'm just not used to it except on high-end virtual machines for databases in the cloud.

So, in summary, it's simply a case of price-point and functionality among the brands available. I had wondered if there was some magic combo.

33 minutes ago, Zacatzontli said:

And SSD sounds like the way to go over HDD. Makes sense I'm just not used to it except on high-end virtual machines for databases in the cloud.

Every modern and actual computer has nowadays SSDs for much faster OS startup, access and data read/write throughput. Even huge HDDs are of course much cheaper in price here, they are more used as a backup media, since those are turnaround performance wise lame in contrast to SSDs. - Every Notebook and Computer I have here from the companies I do project work for (software developments), has SSDs of 1 or 2 TB. Starting up the local DevEnviromments, AppServers, DBs and other tools is pretty fast in contrast to former HDD times.

43 minutes ago, Zacatzontli said:

So, in summary, it's simply a case of price-point and functionality among the brands available. I had wondered if there was some magic combo.

It depends on if you are going to buy some ready configured Desktop or if you want to build the Desktop yourself from single applied components you choose. The later offers of course much more capabilities in terms of hardware component selections etc., since you can place in the components you want in terms of specs. If you buy a ready made one from some vendor you often have fewer options in choosing the inner hardware components!

Actually due to Corona-times many hardware things are often rare on the market and also deadly overpriced! All in all due to a shortages of availability on the market and lesser productions as in former times.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

2 hours ago, RichardMH said:

Gaming PC's work well for photo editing and are well priced due to the competition. I have a Dell XPS 8940 with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Super GPU, which is OK for what I do (photo editing with AP). Now I know a bit more about it I'd look for a better graphics card. Have one SSD drive and another normal hard drive built in. 

I thought about gaming PCs and wasn't sure if they did the same job in terms of photo processing. I could check out gaming PC specs and upgrade the graphics card. Bit of research to do but good call on the gaming PC.

3 minutes ago, Zacatzontli said:

I thought about gaming PCs and wasn't sure if they did the same job in terms of photo processing.

Real gaming computers have easily the punch and power therefor (no matter if 2D/3D graphics processing, photo editing or video rendering), since most nowadays actual games on the market do have a very high demand on a very good graphics performance ("2D/3D rendering, particle engines ... etc.) and thus the need powerful GPUs. Gaming computers are pretty similar to higher end business workstations here, if sometimes not even more powerful, though when good equiped they do price wise also play in similar categories here!

• 4 months later...
On 12/31/2021 at 11:32 AM, v_kyr said:

Real gaming computers have easily the punch and power therefor (no matter if 2D/3D graphics processing, photo editing or video rendering), since most nowadays actual games on the market do have a very high demand on a very good graphics performance ("2D/3D rendering, particle engines ... etc.) and thus the need powerful GPUs. Gaming computers are pretty similar to higher end business workstations here, if sometimes not even more powerful, though when good equiped they do price wise also play in similar categories here!

Hi v_kyr, so finally, near the end of financial year I can buy my gaming PC and add Affinity designer, a drawing tablet etc to the mix. I'm looking at the gaming PCs from Scorptech and now I'm spoilt for choice and my brain froze 😂 It's purely for graphics and video work now, I'll be throwing in JWilder etc too.  This is what Scorptech sell below

https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/ready-to-run-pcs/gaming-pc?page=1

I was looking at https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/ready-to-run-pcs/gaming-pc/95038-ss-void3070ti for $3249 .00 to reduce the government taxing the crap out of me. What do you reckon?

6 hours ago, Zacatzontli said:

This is what Scorptech sell below

https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/ready-to-run-pcs/gaming-pc?page=1

I was looking at https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/ready-to-run-pcs/gaming-pc/95038-ss-void3070ti for $3249 .00 to reduce the government taxing the crap out of me. What do you reckon?

Looks Ok so far price wise and in terms of embedded components. - Similar equiped PCs are usually a little bit more expensive than that here in Europe.

You can always look in comparison what the listed single parts/components would cost you here instead, so to say in contrast to the costs if you are going to assemble it yourself then ...

Hardware parts (in Germany):

1. CPU - Intel Core i7 12700KF  ~ 355.- till 399.- EUR
  2. CPU Cooler - Corsair iCue H150i Elite Capellix CPU Cooler  ~ 182.90 EUR
  3. MoBo - MSI MAG Z690 Tomahawk WiFi DDR4 Motherboard  ~ 259.- EUR
  4. RAM - Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 3200MHz (2x16GB) DDR4  ~ 135.90 EUR
  5. GPU - Zotac Trinity GeForce RTX 3070 Ti OC 8GB  ~ 791.03 EUR
  6. SSD - Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB M.2 SSD   ~ 98.- EUR
  7. HDD - Seagate BarraCuda 2TB HDD   ~ 44.85 EUR
  8. Case - Corsair Airflow 4000D Black ATX Case   ~ 109.99 EUR
  9. Power Supply - Corsair RM750 750W Gold ATX Power Supply  ~ 114.90 EUR
  10. Fan - Corsair 120mm RGB PWM Fan  ~ 88.19 EUR
  11. Extra - BitFenix Alchemy 2.0 Extension Cable KIT Black  ~ 29.90 EUR
  12. Add Windows 10 Retail Software and Warranty to these ~ 124.99 EUR
  • Sum round about 2334,65 EUR = 3.497,77 australian dollars

So the Scorptec price instead about 3249 australian dollars = 2.168,66 Euro looks to be Ok.

And in case you would need more RAM for video editing/cutting you can easily add another >= 32 GB yourself then, since that MoBo has 4 RAM slots and should support a max of ~128 GB. Of course you can also exchange or add other components over time.

What about any recommendations for a laptop that won't break the bank but can be used with Affinity Photo? I would prefer a Ryzen (AMD) based machine. thank you for any suggestions.

Light travels faster than sound. That's why someone can look bright until you hear them speak.

20 minutes ago, SamSteele said:

I suggest you get a decent size stand-alone monitor to go with your new computer and calibration software. A drawing pad is handy, too. You might also consider an external drive for backup to your backup.

Sam

Yeah, I also bought a  Huion Kamvas 13 Graphics Drawing Tablet and an Acer RG271P Nitro 27inch 165Hz FHD IPS HDR Gaming Monitor. So much better now I can draw on a tablet where I can see what I'm drawing on and the screen shows so much more detail.

Set for success 🙂

Now I've got to get my routine back to put time into my graphics.

Oh, backup. I was using Google Drive but I have a couple of 2TB drives full of movies and docos from TV I haven't watched in years I might just clean them up and use them. That would be better.

@Zacatzontli

Do you need the disco lighting in the PC? If not, ask the dealer if he also has configurations without lighting. If the tower is on the desk, the blinking will get on your nerves after a while. And if the unit is under the table, only your feet and the dust bunnies will have anything to do with it. You could part-finance the RAM expansion with the money you save.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

13 hours ago, Zacatzontli said:

Oh, backup. I was using Google Drive but I have a couple of 2TB drives full of movies and docos from TV I haven't watched in years I might just clean them up and use them. That would be better.

Always ensure you have a proper external (online) backup running (such as Carbonite) in addition to any in-house backups you do (A fire, theft, flooding, jealous girlfriend can seriously ruin your life without one.)

PS Google Drive is not a candidate/replacement for this

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

@Wervids

In germany we say: Double hold better. 🖖🏼🤣  

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!