You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

It might be a good idea to contact the plugin maker about their plugin compatibility with AP & if compatible how they suggest installing & activating it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Why  not try it and see. You need an .8bf file for it to be compatible. In Photo goto Edit > Preferences > Photoshhop Plugins , click on Add  and enter the location of the .8bf file. Tick the box to Allow unknowns. You will now have to restart Photo.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

18 hours ago, pburki said:

I have installed the software but not sure how I can active the plugin in Affinity Photo. Any idea ?

During the installation of the retail version, one installation step should have asked you where to install the plugins (according to their videos). You should be able to point to that folder, as @John Rostron mentioned above. (The trial version apparently skips that step, and only installs the trial as a standalone application.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

11 hours ago, pburki said:

They claimed first that their plugin is only compatible with PS.

It does actually say on their webpage "For Adobe Photoshop & other photo editors, MS Windows and MacOs". I don't know how good these plugins are, I've never heard of them before, but one look at the prices put me off! 😄

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

5 hours ago, PaulEC said:

It does actually say on their webpage "For Adobe Photoshop & other photo editors, MS Windows and MacOs".

I don't know how good these plugins are, I've never heard of them before, but one look at the prices put me off! 😄

I could not find any detailed info about which "other photo editors" their plugins support. From the reply @pburki got about them waiting for a reply from Serif, it seems likely that they have not done much if any testing to see which ones are & are not compatible with them.

For those prices, I think they should be up front about that.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Bear in mind these plugins also work standalone so you don't need APhoto plugin support if you want/need them

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 hour ago, chief- said:

If Serif doesn’t get to grips with this problem, which has existed since the beginning, it’s not a reputation for the company. As a user, I want to be able to decide how I use programs. Standalone or as a plugin. . . .
Like many others, I shall say goodbye to the programme.😡

See the irony in this after reading this quote from the initial post?

On 12/28/2021 at 6:16 PM, pburki said:

The plugins are designed for Photoshop

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

Probably have just a touch more success, contacting ReTouch4me, and telling them they need to get to grips with making their plugins compatible with Affinity apps.

I guess demanding Ford get to grips with their engines not working in my Chevy is the way to handle things...

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

On 12/29/2021 at 12:46 PM, walt.farrell said:

During the installation of the retail version, one installation step should have asked you where to install the plugins (according to their videos).

It seems to ask the location for Windows installs, but not for Mac. I am not sure if this is tight to the demo version or dependant on the platform.

1 hour ago, pburki said:

It seems to ask the location for Windows installs, but not for Mac. I am not sure if this is tight to the demo version or dependant on the platform.

It does not do it for the demo version on Windows, either. As I said, it should ask during the installation of the retail version.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

41 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

As I said, it should ask during the installation of the retail version.

I would feel more comfortable if I had seen this in the video, but the install for mac, as shown in the video, does not prompt for a location to save the plugin in. I have asked retouch4me to confirm.

• 2 weeks later...

Funny thing that I found this thread while searching how to fix PS Plugin compatibility with Affinity.

I'm the author of Retouch4me plug-in series.

We've been checking how to fix that Affinity Photo doesn't support our plug-ins, and it seems that Affinity doesn't provide PS Channel Port Suite, which means we can't get any information about the document channels, bounding box etc. How are plug-ins supposed to work without this information? Is there any developer here who can help to solve this problem?

Oleg.

1 hour ago, Oleg Sharonov said:

Funny thing that I found this thread while searching how to fix PS Plugin compatibility with Affinity.

We've been checking how to fix that Affinity Photo doesn't support our plug-ins, and it seems that Affinity doesn't provide PS Channel Port Suite, which means we can't get any information about the document channels, bounding box etc. How are plug-ins supposed to work without this information? Is there any developer here who can help to solve this problem?

Oleg.

Come on Affinity Team! Here we have the developer of one FANTASTIC plug in willing to work with you guys to make their plug in work. Please, please.. make it happen. I want this plug in to work with AP, it would do wonders to my workflow!

@Oleg, I have one question about the standalone version of your plugins. Will they generate a PSD file with layers or is this only for the plugin version?

Thank you for your appreciation!! 😃

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find any library for writing layered PSD files, so it's impossible to create preprocessed files with retouching layers ready for manual editing without Photoshop (and hopefully Affinity in future).

BTW, I was also contacting Affinity Team to make 3D LUT Creator integrate with Affinity a few years ago, but no luck. =(

6 minutes ago, Oleg Sharonov said:

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find any library for writing layered PSD files, so it's impossible to create preprocessed files with retouching layers ready for manual editing without Photoshop (and hopefully Affinity in future).

BTW, I was also contacting Affinity Team to make 3D LUT Creator integrate with Affinity a few years ago, but no luck. =(

The way your plugins work is just fantastic, providing layers for fine tuning the result which is already the best I’ve seen from any plugin. I think I might just get the standalone version of a couple of your plugins anyway since the result is so good. But I truly hope that the Affinity team make this work sometime. I’m guessing if they do, we’ll get working many plugins that currently don’t work.

I hope the team at affinity see this and make it happen.

29 minutes ago, Oleg Sharonov said:

@Oleg, also please consider making standalone versions for the iPad.

• Staff
On 1/15/2022 at 11:03 PM, Oleg Sharonov said:

Oleg.

Thanks for reaching out to us. I have passed your comments to our developers to see if they can shed any light on this. I'll reply back here when I have an update or more information on this.

Thank you! It seems we've found some workarounds to make Retouch4me plug-ins compatible with Affinity Photo, so hopefully there will be a new version of the plug-ins soon! But the problem is Affinity seem to not support plug-ins inside macros (or actions). It still won't be as comfortable to use as in photoshop. You'll have to manually duplicate the layer and then switch it to soft light mode. =( Or am I missing something?

• Staff
Just now, Oleg Sharonov said:

Thank you! It seems we've found some workarounds to make Retouch4me plug-ins compatible with Affinity Photo, so hopefully there will be a new version of the plug-ins soon! But the problem is Affinity seem to not support plug-ins inside macros (or actions). It still won't be as comfortable to use as in photoshop. You'll have to manually duplicate the layer and then switch it to soft light mode. =( Or am I missing something?

Unfortunately, our developers have stated in the past that we don't offer 100% of the features for Photoshop Plugins. I'm waiting to hear back from the lead Photo developer to see if he's planning to support Channel Port Suite in the future.