You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Invert Pixel Selection area SHORTCUT not working. + Masked area assist?

Hello!

I have read that to invert a pixel selection (selected area) quickly, the shortcut is CMD+i. It is definitely not working for me. Is there maybe somewhere in AP (on Mac) where I can "set" what these shortcuts will do (if that is the reason I'm having this problem)?

*In the attached screenshots, I show: 1) an arbitrarily selected area (my face), then 2) when I hit the mask button it (correctly) masks out my face and hides everything else around the selected area. 3) Then I show what happens when I press CMD+i (in my attempt to invert the mask - so to select everything outside the face's area) and the selection ISN'T inverted but something else happens instead...), and 4) I show a successful selection inversion (and masking out of the surroundings, while hiding my face) - which is what I was unsuccessfully trying to do with the CMD+i shortcut before - and achieved this only via the "long way" of pressing the Invert button in the Channels' tab.

Also, is there some kind of view assist option which I can toggle on to make it more obvious which area/s is/are selected? Say, by dimming the unselected area/s?

1180418088_Screenshot2021-12-28at8_24_16AM.thumb.png.f96c06ea307abcccff8f8208f46fddf3.png

1183859283_Screenshot2021-12-28at8_24_51AM.thumb.png.74d5cda327a80a593d76d5fb2d241eef.png

Screenshot 2021-12-28 at 8.25.09 AM.png

Screenshot 2021-12-28 at 8.25.54 AM.png

4 hours ago, henryb said:

I have read that to invert a pixel selection (selected area) quickly, the shortcut is CMD+i

I'm not sure where you read that, but if you look in the Select menu (since you're working with a Selection) you'll find what your actual shortcut is. If you haven't changed them it's probably Cmd+Shift+I. 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 hours ago, v_kyr said:
  • Selection menu:

selection.jpg.37a48f0abe0c6cdd2b5a920f92af1729.jpg

• Layer menu:

layer.jpg.3c334944a19c7cd566edd1fda39dc13e.jpg

thanks! But since I can't read German, reading walt.farrell's reply above, it looks like shift+cmd+i will invert the pixel selection (so I guess that's what your 1st photo shows). But your second photo looks like it shows that cmd+i ALSO "inverts". But what does that command invert, then, if not the pixel selection area? The colors?

9 minutes ago, henryb said:

it looks like shift+cmd+i will invert the pixel selection (so I guess that's what your 1st photo shows)

Jip.

9 minutes ago, henryb said:

But your second photo looks like it shows that cmd+i ALSO "inverts". But what does that command invert, then, if not the pixel selection area? The colors?

Yes, as you already saw from your above image posting.

You can also always look after all those things in the Affinity Photo Online help:

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

What v_kyr said plus

Select/Invert Pixel Selection changes the selection so that what was selected now isn't and what wasn't is

Layer/Invert basically applies an inverted Curves Adjustment

LayerInvert.png

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

36 minutes ago, henryb said:

But what does that command invert, then, if not the pixel selection area? The colors?

The Layer content, since it's in the Layer menu. And when you happen to have a pixel selection active, it would act on the selected pixels of the selected layer.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1