You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Drawing in Pixel Persona

Hello Ive just gotten Affinity Designer and am having a really hard time with it. I seem to be encountering a lot of bugs and Im not sure if this is from me using the program incorrectly or if they truly are bugs. Right now I am having a problem where I am unable to draw in pixel mode. As youll see I am unable to do any drawing or erasing while in Pixel Persona but when I switch to Vector Persona I am able to draw. This is only the case with the current document im working on and if I create a new one and go into Pixel Persona I am able to draw perfectly fine

The Pencil Tool is a vector tool, so it's not available in the Pixel Persona. The Pixel Persona is for working Raster images.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

3 hours ago, Josiah Harder said:

This is only the case with the current document im working on and if I create a new one and go into Pixel Persona I am able to draw perfectly fine

Check what brush you are using and the colour selected

If still not working please upload that document to the forum for further analysis

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Hi

I watched these videos a couple of times but I cannot see anything obvious. Like Protect Alpha being on! Are you using a mouse or tablet?
But there are a a couple of things you could try or look at
1. Have you tried switching off hardware acceleration in Prefs
2. Is the opacity of the selected colour set to 0 on the colour panel
3. Are you trying to paint inside a mask? ..that catches me out sometimes
4. try an app reset see if fixes it

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.5 2.2402
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

1 minute ago, StuartRc said:

Hi

I watched these videos a couple of times but I cannot see anything obvious. Like Protect Alpha being on! Are you using a mouse or tablet?
But there are a a couple of things you could try or look at
1. Have you tried switching off hardware acceleration in Prefs
2. Is the opacity of the selected colour set to 0 on the colour panel
3. Are you trying to paint inside a mask? ..that catches me out sometimes
4. try an app reset see if fixes it

Thank you for your interest and the response Stuart! I will try some of those suggestions you gave and let you know how it goes

2 minutes ago, Josiah Harder said:

Thank you for your interest and the response Stuart! I will try some of those suggestions you gave and let you know how it goes

Ok no problem!

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.5 2.2402
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0

10 minutes ago, StuartRc said:

Ok no problem!

Alright I have turned off hardware acceleration and done an app reset. My opacity is set to 100 and as far as I can tell I dont have any mask layers haha I created a new document to show it works fine to draw over those images in pixel persona but when I load up the saved file I was originally working on I am unable to so maybe there is just something wrong with that file. I am using a microsoft surface laptop studio and a pen to draw on the screen but the issue persists when using the mouse. I also noticed another problem at the end of this video attached you can see that im unable to change the stroke size on both my original and new document when in Pixel persona.

Does look like it is something in the original file...I see what you mean with the stroke size...Hopefully a Moderator will pick that one up...:)

It's strange. on the original file when you select the pixel brush AD is creating a pixel layer when you click on the screen..to paint...only other thing I could think of...

Just use a Px layer outside a Layer
Rasterise the JPG to see if it lets you draw on the image (normally you can!)

Yeah that is strange I thought that was normal but now that youve pointed it out it doesnt do that in new files that I create so maybe thats part of the issue. In my original file if I create a new layer it will be displayed as "Layer2 (Layer)" but after trying to draw a new layer is created underneath it called "(Pixel)"

Ive tried drawing on every layer available and rasterized the image with still no success haha If this is just going to be an issue with my current file which I was only practicing on then its not a huge problem as I will just create a new one and start over

• Staff

@Josiah HarderIs it possible you can provide a copy of the file your using as I wouldn't of thought it would be due to Windows 11 but it's something I can test. Obviously the part I can't reproduce at the moment is that you're using a Microsoft Surface laptop studio and a pen, although we may have some in the office but we're currently working from home at the moment.

2 hours ago, Lee D said:

@Josiah HarderIs it possible you can provide a copy of the file your using as I wouldn't of thought it would be due to Windows 11 but it's something I can test. Obviously the part I can't reproduce at the moment is that you're using a Microsoft Surface laptop studio and a pen, although we may have some in the office but we're currently working from home at the moment.

Hey Lee thank you for your interest in helping me! I actually just ended up deleting the file and created a new one which im not having any of the same issues on so maybe it was just a weird glitch on that one.