You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Arrows no arrow tails in the document, but they appear in exported PDF

I have no arrow tails in the document (the way I want them), but when I export to a PDF, the tails show as a fine line extending into the text next to them. (see images). Nothing I do makes them appear without the fine tail line, even though they are not shown in the program. Is this a bug?

Arrow_in_Publisher.jpg

Arrow_in_the_exported_pdf.jpg

Arrow_settings_in-publisher.jpg

Why not simply use a triangle? In fact, many fonts include left- and right-pointing triangles that you could access via the Glyph Browser panel.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

LOL, I just started replacing them with a shape. I'll check in the Glyphs though - that might be a lot easier. THANKS for the quick response.

I'm hoping to send my first Affinity Publisher book out for a proof today or tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, DanM said:

I'll check in the Glyphs though - that might be a lot easier.

Even easier, copy and paste from here: ◀ ▶ 

Alfred spacer.png

33 minutes ago, DanM said:

I want a slightly elongated one

Can’t you simply adjust the horizontal scale via the Character panel? :/

34 minutes ago, DanM said:

It must be a bug though, since the tails don't show at all in the program.

It does look like a bug. It seems reasonable to expect the tails to show up even at normal size, and certainly when you zoom in.

Alfred spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @DanM,

Our apologies for the delayed response here - we were extremely busy over the Christmas period and working from home during the pandemic is unfortunately extending our response window to be longer than normal, many thanks for your continued patience and understanding here.

On 12/27/2021 at 10:08 PM, DanM said:

It must be a bug though, since the tails don't show at all in the program.

I'm glad to hear you were able to workaround this issue, however I'd still like to investigate (provided you still have access to these files?) to ensure any bugs within the apps are logged with our developers.

Firstly, could you please provide me with a copy of the PDF file that you've exported from Affinity? Can you also confirm which PDF viewer was used to display the file? Certain PDF viewers can have display settings that may preview 'lines' in documents that do not exist or are not displayed otherwise, so I'd like to double check this first.

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Thank you, @Dan C,

No worries about the delay. I viewed them in Acrobat Reader.

When I went back just now to recreate what I had done, I discovered that if I pulled the edge of the box up tight to the edge of the arrow, the tail did not show in the pdf, so I could have successfully used the arrow tool by just closing the gap (with hide overflowing text option selected).

Here is a page from the document with all three arrows - the top box is with a full arrow frame, the 2nd with the frame pulled in tight, and the actual caption is a simple triangle shape, which is the one I ended up using. Turns out I could have saved time by just resizing the arrow box.

Dan

(Looks like the files might have been rearranged in upload - the arrow with the tail is from before I shortened the frame/box.)

Arrow_in_Publisher.jpg

Arrow_in_the_exported_pdf.jpg

Arrow_settings_in-publisher.jpg

File-4-troubleshooting.afpub File-4-troubleshooting.pdf

• Staff

Thanks for providing these files and further information for me!

I can see that you've set the Thickness and Inner Offset to 0% for this shape - however with this option set there is actually a very thin line still present here in the document, which is then being exaggerated by Acrobat Reader (Within Acrobat, Edit > Preferences > Page Display > then uncheck 'Enhance Thin Lines'.)

However, you've already mentioned the suggested solution I would provide, which is to ensure this object is confined completely to the Arrow head to ensure no thin lines appear elsewhere.

I'll be discussing this further with our development team to see if we can improve things in the future in this regard - I hope this helps :) 

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!