You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to easily resize, crop and edit Layers on a canvas?

Hi,

I am currently on my trial trying to decide whether or not I should buy Affinity Photo. While I have watched most of the official tutorial videos, I have a hard time getting my grip on some basic task.

Basically I want to add a canvas in A4 (because I have A4 photo paper for print) and then add several Images on that canvas and make a few adjustments/edits to each of the images.

• Crop each image/layer
  • resize each image/layer to a specific size
  • make some adjustments and edits to each layer/image

While I could make some adjustments (like brightness contrast etc) I find doing cropping and resizing/cropping of layers not intuitive at all.

Maybe someone can direct me in the right direction on how to accomplish those (normally easy) tasks.

Thanks and best

phil

Welcome to the forums @pmcl77,

Have you viewed the tutorial video on Clipping vs Masking  or Placing Images ?

You can crop the entire image/document, but not individual layers. That's where the Clipping can be used.

Also keep in mind that the Adjustment Layers have their own built in masks. There's no need to add a mask to an adjustment.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Thank you @Ron P.

I actually missed the video on Clipping vs Masking, and that's exactly what I was looking for! Thanks a lot!

Regarding masks, I have been watching some YT videos that use curve layers to apply Dodge & Burn nondestructively... Will play around with that and other adjustment layers to see how the masking works.

Best,

Your welcome 😀

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD