You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Need to correct over-exposure please

Hello everyone and Merry Christmas! I'm a beginner on Affinity Photo and need some really simple steps to correct the colours in this photo please. The guys at the top are bathed in too much light and the women at the bottom are slightly dark. I can live with the slight dark, but really want to correct the over-exposure in the top row. Thank you so much for your help

85BC32AC-A77C-4979-B0E0-B4BE2343BFCA_1_201_a.jpeg

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

If it's just for the lighting, then CIELAB mode is a good way to adjust only that then aka the lighting from dark to light or vice versa. You have to assign LAB mode and adjust just the lightening settings there then (make a copy/duplicate of the layer you work on then, deactivate the org layer and use the duplicate one).

Here's how to get into LAB mode and make some curve adjustments only for the lighting portions of the image then ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

3 hours ago, v_kyr said:

If it's just for the lighting, then CIELAB mode is a good way to adjust only that then aka the lighting from dark to light or vice versa. You have to assign LAB mode and adjust just the lightening settings there then (make a copy/duplicate of the layer you work on then, deactivate the org layer and use the duplicate one).

Here's how to get into LAB mode and make some curve adjustments only for the lighting portions of the image then ...

Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to send me your video. I'll give it a go, but I was looking for a way to just zero in on specific faces which have too much light. is there a way to do that using your method? Thanks again

23 hours ago, Janabanana said:

Hello everyone and Merry Christmas! I'm a beginner on Affinity Photo and need some really simple steps to correct the colours in this photo please. The guys at the top are bathed in too much light and the women at the bottom are slightly dark. I can live with the slight dark, but really want to correct the over-exposure in the top row. Thank you so much for your help

85BC32AC-A77C-4979-B0E0-B4BE2343BFCA_1_201_a.jpeg

Thank you so much for replying...I'll give the dodge and burn a go!

1 hour ago, Janabanana said:

but I was looking for a way to just zero in on specific faces which have too much light. is there a way to do that using your method?

The curve lighting layer is applied as a mask, thus you can click on it's thumb image and then draw with a black brush over the image regions which shouldn't be effected from the lighting change (aka mask out around every thing else but leaving out the faces you want to have darken). If you accidently painted with the black brush over regions you would like to have darken, change the brush color to white and draw over those then. - In general on every masks you can apply/remove the to change effects with black/white brush when dawing over image regions. - Instead one can also make previous selections of just those areas, where certain effects should only be applied to!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2