You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What am I doing wrong with circles?

Hi,

I wanted to export some Designer files into SVG and PDF for those ones who didn't use Affinity suite, but I have some problems with the circles as you can see from the files I attached. Can somebody explain to me what am I doing wrong?

Thank you.

MAKLIT.afdesign MAKLIT.pdf MAKLIT.svg

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

In Designer the two ellipses have a dotted stroke, rather than a solid one applied, but I have no idea why they look solid in Designer but not when exported! 

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

11 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

In Designer the two ellipses have a dotted stroke, rather than a solid one applied, but I have no idea why they look solid in Designer but not when exported! 

Yes, I wonder too, because I didn't change anything there.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

Thank you @GarryP. It was about the pressure. I used it for a line in the book and I didn't realise it is still active. Now, everything is OK.

13 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I don’t know why this works, or how the issue arose in the first place, but try changing the Style of stroke to Solid Line, then Reset the Pressure Profile, then change the Style back to Dash.

You're right, but what I don't get is why the PDF/SVG is different from the Designer file! Surely the setting of the Pressure Profile should be carried over to the PDF/SVG, if not  is it a bug? 

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

NNN: You’re welcome.

PaulEC: I would guess that, in this case, if the design on-screen doesn’t look like the design when exported then it’s probably a bug but I couldn’t say which bit of the software the problem resided in.
In other words, I don’t know if the on-screen view is correct or if the exported result is correct because I don’t know how the Pressure Profile is supposed to affect dashed lines.
In either case I would say that a team member needs to look at it, determine what should be happening, and either do something to fix it or tell the documentation people to document it.

17 minutes ago, GarryP said:

In other words, I don’t know if the on-screen view is correct

The Designer file is correct.

12 minutes ago, NNN said:

The Designer file is correct.

I think you might be able to say that from your perspective of what you might want to see but it might not be correct as per how the software should be working.
You have set a dashed line style so I would expect to see a dashed line under most circumstances, which is why I am questioning whether what we can see on-screen (before export) is correct or not, and only someone at Serif will know for sure.

4 hours ago, GarryP said:

I don’t know why this works, or how the issue arose in the first place, but try changing the Style of stroke to Solid Line, then Reset the Pressure Profile, then change the Style back to Dash.

It works because the dashed style is ignored in the Designer workspace if a pressure profile has been applied to the stroke.

3 hours ago, PaulEC said:

You're right, but what I don't get is why the PDF/SVG is different from the Designer file! Surely the setting of the Pressure Profile should be carried over to the PDF/SVG, if not  is it a bug? 

I wasn’t aware until now that a dashed line is created on export! I would certainly expect the PDF/SVG output to match what we see in the app, so it does seem as though there’s a bug here.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @NNN,

Thanks for your report and our apologies for the delayed response here!

I can confirm that the issue of dashed strokes not being displayed when a pressure profile is applied is already logged with our developers - however I don't believe that this includes the strokes having the pressure removed and returning to dashed lines when exported.

I can see why it's beneficial to export with dotted lines as that's whats been set in the app for the stroke, however the exported document then doesn't match the canvas visually, which can cause confusion (leading to threads such as this!)

Therefore I'm updating the development log now to include this information, so that our developers can discuss and hopefully find a solution that works for most. if not all :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)