You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Not a clue how to set a specific color...

I am wanting to change the larger rectangle to the same color as the smaller brown square. When starting, the larger rectangle is white. 

In the picture below, what I did was use the dropper to click in the small brown square (have tried multiple locations in it from the darker part to lighter part), then select the larger rectangle and change the RGB settings to the same as they are when I click on the brown square.

In the picture below is the resuslts of how the white changes based on the rgb colors after I clicked the brown square. It has not hint of brown at all.

Any thoughts on what am I doint wrong or misunderstanding?

Color Problem.png

You have one thing with a few shades of brown going to Black, and another thing with a few shades of brown going to White. The shades of brown look quite similar to my eye, so I have to ask if you are wanting the White to be Black?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Maybe a gradient map will do the trick

1. B&W adjustment 

2. match brightness / contrast

3. select 2-3 colors for gradient map

CF17B4CB-C529-408D-9560-DD1603D15A5C.thumb.png.b802f914178fe6fad3491339bac8bc30.png

vorhang.afphoto

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

2 hours ago, 56_kruiser said:

I am wanting to change the larger rectangle to the same color as the smaller brown square.

Neither of these shapes has just one color so I wonder if you have filled each of them with a different bitmap pattern via the Gradient Tool > Type: Bitmap option. If not, can you explain a bit more about how you got each shape to have more than one fill color?

It might also help if you could post a screenshot of the Layers panel or an example afphoto file.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I don't have that exact item now to show the layers panel, but there was nothing in the layers panel than the first capture.

So, for example, I just tried this: I did a regional screen capture of to top area, such as the attached image. So with the Recolor Adjustment tool, I can drage it for different colors that apply to the image, which changes all levels of that color fine, it does not just cover it with a block of the new color. What I'd like to do is to be able to do that to change the color to brown (or what ever color I want). But with my base knowledge, I can't achieve brown, as it is a combination of different colors which I can't achieve by dragging the Hue, Saturation or Lightness bars. or entering RGB, or RGB Hex humbers.

image.png.85c59c59d1490a277fba3606c8d8b472.png

For instance:

image.png.97d20ab95ddf935b801bfb79ebaa95af.png

If I enter 150,75, 0, I get this: on the image above:

image.png.e7982a8c8b772d1cd0dec8be44441c48.png

Similar results if I try RGB Hex,

The difference is only lightness, not color (hue, saturation). Recolor will not help as it preserves the lightness.

Using curves or gradient map will deliver the desired result.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.