You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF Export, Problems with Glow & Mask

Good Morning,

One of the things that I note in soundnpicture's PDF file (after having opened it in Acrobat to check the properties) is that it was exported as a PDF/X-1a specification file. PDF/X-1a does not utilize the information necessary for the proper rendering of transparency effects in its files. You can only get true transparency in PDF-X/4 and above. I also noted that Acrobat also reads the trapping as "false". This may also account for the artifacts displayed at the periphery of your shadows and glows.

An old trick that designers used with Photoshop is the dreaded "make several versions" workflow that was used prior to the creation of Adjustment Layers in version 6.0. In a variation of that for our purposes using Designer, I would try the following: Create a copy of your original AD file, flatten it/merge all visible layers and publish that to PDF. The flattened file now has the FX information flattened into one artwork layer; granted, it is no longer editable, but that is why you have the original saved. The flattened file should export to PDF/X-1a without incident as there is now a perfect lack of transparency information to be read/interpreted.

If this does not work, reopen the copied file in Photo (or export from Designer as a flattened JPG, PSD or TIFF). This should rasterize ALL elements within the design and completely flatten it out and export to PDF from there.

Hope this helps.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.