You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Print sizes that correspond to Video sizes?

Please forgive the weird question…I’m trying to find balance between print sizes and video sizes such that the same illustration would work for either.

Granted, print will require dimensions that are suitable for a book or magazine, at 300dpi or higher, and the same file used in print could be save as / converted to what’s useful in Video (CMYK > RGB for example).

Maybe it’s merely an issue of matching aspect ratios? The goal would be for the print version of a set of illustrations to match as closely as possible to the video counterpart.

I hope I’m making sense, and thank you for any answers on this..surely many others are doing what I’m describing.

1 hour ago, VectorCat said:

…I’m trying to find balance between print sizes and video sizes such that the same illustration would work for either.

Off the top of my head I would think the best way would be to use a border so one of the aspect ratios is repeated in the other version but has a thicker or thinner side border than the other while the top and bottom would be the same size. What I am trying to say is isolate the content by making it slightly smaller than it could be.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

11 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Off the top of my head I would think the best way would be to use a border so one of the aspect ratios is repeated in the other version but has a thicker or thinner side border than the other while the top and bottom would be the same size. What I am trying to say is isolate the content by making it slightly smaller than it could be.

....so in other words, size the illustration for one form of media, and use variable-width borders (of whatever nature and appearance) to fill in the empty space on the other. Kinda what I was thinking, yeah..

I haven't explored the ISO paper sizes, but just the regular ones don't have the same aspect ratio as 1080p video.

Just now, VectorCat said:

....so in other words, size the illustration for one form of media, and use variable-width borders (of whatever nature and appearance) to fill in the empty space on the other. Kinda what I was thinking, yeah..

Yes.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.