You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text frame resizing automatically when margin changes

I am creating a book with 100s of pages and the author is suggesting widening the margin. That's done easily on the master page, but there doesn't seem to be an option to automatically resize the text frames. Do I need to go through and manually resize each one? Hope he doesn't change his mind again then! 😳

Thanks for your help.

Assuming the Text Frames are derived from a Master Page, you should be able to simply resize the frame on the Master Page, and all the document pages should adjust.

However, if you created the Text Frame on a document page instead of on a Master, then I think you'll need to adjust them individually.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 4 weeks later...

I believe Affinity should consider this problem and create an option for non-resizing the text when resizing the text frame. Yes, I know easier said than done but at least it should be considered for the future. I have headings of one word but different sizes of words. As of now I must create the word, then create via "Text Frame" the size, color and margins around the word for the heading, and finally cut/paste the heading in the text frame. If I want to edit the margins I have to cut the heading and try again (and perhaps again) until it is correct. I realize that I could simply place a rectangle with the color and then place the heading over that rectangle, but  that is a rather inefficient method Thanks, Affinity for at least considering this. 

8 hours ago, Jim Monson said:

I believe Affinity should consider this problem and create an option for non-resizing the text when resizing the text frame. Yes, I know easier said than done but at least it should be considered for the future. I have headings of one word but different sizes of words. As of now I must create the word, then create via "Text Frame" the size, color and margins around the word for the heading, and finally cut/paste the heading in the text frame. If I want to edit the margins I have to cut the heading and try again (and perhaps again) until it is correct. I realize that I could simply place a rectangle with the color and then place the heading over that rectangle, but  that is a rather inefficient method Thanks, Affinity for at least considering this. 

I think you're describing something other than what this topic is about, Jim.

It sounds like you're talking about insets within a Text Frame, possibly.

In any case:

1. Text does not resize when you resize a Text Frame, if you use a resizing handle (one of the 4 attached to the corner of the frame). It only resizes if you use the lower-right, detached, scaling handle. So the "option" you suggest is already there.
  2. I'm not sure, but it almost sounds like you should be using Artistic Text for your headings, rather than Frame Text.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1