You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo clone tool

It’s very hard to help you manage the Clone Tool without a description or screenshots of the kind of trouble you’re having. ;)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

4 minutes ago, Alfred said:

It’s very hard to help you manage the Clone Tool without a description or screenshots of the kind of trouble you’re having. ;)

You are right. 
First how placing the source cross point with precision.

Then, clone with apple pencil from that point.

3 minutes ago, Angelos58 said:

You are right. 
First how placing the source cross point with precision.

Then, clone with apple pencil from that point.

Thank you. My iPad doesn’t support Apple Pencil, so I’ll leave your question to someone else who’s in a better position to help. :)

Alfred spacer.png

23 minutes ago, Angelos58 said:

I’d appreciate also your fingers experience

A finger is obviously not as precise, but I haven’t noticed any major problems. I also have a capacitive stylus with a fine tip, and it seems to work as expected.

Alfred spacer.png

55 minutes ago, Angelos58 said:

But fix exactly the cross point is a problem. How do you do?

You must use your finger to set the clone source point. When you touch and hold, you should see a loupe with a magnified view of the spot your finger is touching. You can move your finger and the loupe will move with it. The clone source point will be set in the center of the loupe when you lift your finger.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

17 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

You must use your finger to set the clone source point. When you touch and hold, you should see a loupe with a magnified view of the spot your finger is touching. You can move your finger and the loupe will move with it. The clone source point will be set in the center of the loupe when you lift your finger.

Yes i know, but i can’t see exactly where. Then, if i would moving the cross i wouldn’t. And when i point my pencil to destination point is very very hard find the position.

26 minutes ago, Angelos58 said:

In Mac version I can see a preview of cloned part before to place. How can I obtain same result in iPad ?

That's the brush preview. Unfortunately, the ipad versions of the Affinity apps don't offer brush previews.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• 2 months later...

The problem I seem to have quite often, is after selecting the source area and removing my pencil off the screen, when I start to try to apply the cloned area, the crosshair starts moving around when I move the pencil on the screen.  I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong to make this happen.

Edited by John2404

24 minutes ago, John2404 said:

The problem I seem to have quite often, is after selecting the source area and removing my pencil off the screen, when I start to try to apply the cloned area, the crosshair starts moving around when I move the pencil on the screen.  I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong to make this happen.

The Context bar has an Aligned option that affects that. It sounds like you may have it turned off, if I understand what you're describing.

-- Walt
PC:

On 12/23/2021 at 1:12 AM, Angelos58 said:

Would be very appreciate a video. Thank in advance

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

On 12/22/2021 at 2:12 PM, Angelos58 said:

Would be very appreciate a video. Thank in advance

It’s probably something silly that I’m doing, but I’m new to Affinity and trying to find my way around it.  In this video, I select the clone tool, hold down on the screen to select an area. When I remove my finger from the screen the cross hair appears on the area I’ve selected, but when I touch the screen on the sun flare, on the right hand side of the screen to paint the cloned area, the cross hair starts moving around the screen, mirroring my touch movements on the other side of the screen.  Any thoughts on what I’m doing wrong? Thanks

6 hours ago, John2404 said:

Any thoughts on what I’m doing wrong? Thanks

Tap the little white triangle on the right side of the bottom context menu. Deselect the Alignment icon  (the first one). Now the cross hair will remain where you originally placed it. When you see those little white triangles/arrowheads alongside the context menu it indicates a submenu is available with more settings.🙂

44E64C32-66DC-4918-BF1B-BF2776C10711.jpeg

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

That’s great.  Thank you for your assistance. Also thanks to Walt.Farrel for your response as well, as you were correct in the solution to the problem, it was only my naivety on Affinity not realising that there were additional functions on the context menu and how to find them.  I really appreciate your assistance.

Edited by John2404