You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Global command palette

In many powerful modern applications there is a global command palette: Atom, Notion, even Figma has it.

The idea is you press Cmd-P and write anything you want, it searches and find something immediately. You can gain access to almost anything with one shortcut + keyword.

I find that I'm constantly using similar feature in "Help" search field to find lot of commands, fillters, selections, presets etc. Basically doing the same stuff. So I propose to transfer it into power command palette, adding more global connection to all things inside all 3 powerful apps.

E.g. now I edit a big document and need to select all raster objects + several specific shapes only in 1 artboard. With such command palette I could've write for example "select raster objects + scope artboard". And that 's it.

This also turns Affinity products more power user- and developer- friendly and opens enormous gate for adding bits of code/formulas to operate and automate things.

Another thing, again working on this document. I need to release all parent layers that divide website into sections and put all objects (both raster and vector) inside one artboard. Also to select not only pixel objects, but images and embedded documents, all three types. All this stuff is quite painful to do now. With such command palette I could've just write layer properties and what to do with them or select specific object types in one move.

If you're on Mac, check out an app called CheatSheet. Long pressing on Command key brings a pop-up menu of ALL keyboard equivalents in the menus, which you can click on and execute, this is what it looks like:

background.jpg

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Thank you, @ronnyb. It's a lovely app for keyboard shortcuts.

I am talking more about menu positions (and panel positions) that don't have any associated shortcuts. For now I use Shift-Cmd-? and it helps a lot. It's like a minimal command palette that's embedded in Mac.

But if you've ever tried Atom's command palette, you never want less from serious app.

• 1 month later...

Bumping this also. I work in Figma a lot and global command palette is awesome tool for speeding things up. Smart selection is already implemented with plugins, check/uncheck some settings/options (e.g. copy as svg, custom snapping etc.) Possibilites are endless. Hope Affinity will implement this feature too.

• 9 months later...