You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Assigning a color Profile by default in Affinity Photo

Hello

Hope somebody has a suggestion for this:

I noticed this behavior recently( I don't think this was before).

Probably (but not sure) when I changed permission for Affinity Photo to record my desktop...

Here's the thing.

I take screenshots of my desktop frequently and then open them in Affinity photo to check some colors.

Now I notice the colors are off and I noticed that Affinity Photo is assigning the "Display" color profile

I want Photo to assign the "sRGB" color profile to all the screenshots by default when I open them. I think I had it this way before..

It's a hassle to change the color profile manually to every screenshot I take.

Is there a setting for this and assign the specified color profile (sRGB) to all the images I open in Affinity Photo? I'm in MacOS by the way.

Thanks in advance.

------------------------

Fernando Velarde

www.velarde.com

Instagram.com/soyfervelarde

macOS always embeds screenshots with the colour profile of the screen it was taken on.
If you want them to open in AP in RGB, then in AP, go to: Preferences > Colour and set your desired default RGB colour spaces.
Then make sure in the option tick box’s below them, ‘Convert opened files to working space’, is ticked.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

You should be careful with automatic conversions with document opening as Affinity apps only show a brief warning when this happens (unlike Adobe apps and many other that show a confirmation dialog box with defaults and let the user decide case-wise whether to use embedded profile or convert the colors to working color space), so there might be point in performing the color conversion manually (you need to convert instead of assign to get correct color values; I think Absolute Colorimetric is the choice to use).

Basically color fidel screenshots only work on macOS when using Affinity apps. Windows does have Clipboard colors in values of the display color profile but Affinity apps do not allow assignining a color profile at paste time. A pasted file has sRGB color profile assigned instead of the display ICC. When afterwards assigning the display ICC and then converting to sRGB, the colors change but are still wrong. This procedure (assign display ICC at paste time, then convert to sRGB or whatever needed) works without faults when using Photoshop. There might be Windows screenshot utilities that save the profile along saving the screenshots on disk but I have no experience of these.

Thanks Lagarto

Mmh I changed my color settings in Affinity but still NOT working as expected (here are some screenshots) 

If I take a screenshot and open it in QuickLook or Preview the colors look exactly  the same

But if I open it in Affinity Photo they are still off. Even assigning the sRGB color profile...  They look more pale.

Any ideas what other setting I should do...?

I remember I had this workflow working correctly before: Taking a screenshot and opening it in Photo and take/sample the Hex color from there.

I do Web Work and the RGB / Hex color needs to be accurate...

With the Mac OS change or a Photo update something got misconfigured....

1-settings.png

2-preview.png

3-affinity.png

------------------------

Fernando Velarde

www.velarde.com

Instagram.com/soyfervelarde

Hum, I wonder…
Have you tried the current beta version of AP?
With the current Mac App Store version I do see a very slight shift in reported RGB colour values when using AP’s Colour Picker on the same image within AP and then when sampling said image as displayed in Preview.
When using AP Beta, I get the same colour values reported with AP’s Colour Picker both in and outside of AP.
Perhaps this is the cause of what you are seeing? Though for me it is not as pronounced as in your screenshots. It’s more a numerical difference rather than a definite visual difference.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M