You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Some people have a disability detecting colours

William Overington

Following on from my post in the following thread,

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/154579-christmas-cards-2021/

I have received a kindly-worded private message that mentions an intereting web page that allows someone to check his or her own artwork as to how it would appear to people who have each of a number of disabilities detecting colours.

As I have found the resource helpful, here is a link.

https://www.color-blindness.com/coblis-color-blindness-simulator/

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

Good evening @William Overington (at least in my neck of the woods). You can easily simulate different forms of color blindness without ever leaving Affinity Photo. Simply add a LUT at the top of the Layers stack, and set the LUT to one of AP’s presets - Deuteranopia or Protanopia (for red-green deficiency) or Tritanopia (for blue-yellow deficiency). No need to travel to a separate web site!

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

See for example also:

... under the softproofing points there ...

Color blindness settings in Affinity are located among the built-in LUT adjustment layers. The LUTs help you visualize colors as seen by three types of dichromats: protanopes, deuteranopes, and tritanopes.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

@William Overington As you have raised the issue, the choice of colour in your Christmas card causes a sort of strobing effect that would induce a headache if looked at for too long. I appreciate the sentiment in the card, but the colours are all wrong.

Ali 🙂

Hobby photographer.
Running Affinity Suite V2 on Windows 11 17" HP Envy i7 (8th Gen) & Windows 11 MS Surface Go 3 alongside MS365 (Insider Beta Channel).

9 minutes ago, Ali said:

@William Overington As you have raised the issue, the choice of colour in your Christmas card causes a sort of strobing effect that would induce a headache if looked at for too long. I appreciate the sentiment in the card, but the colours are all wrong.

@Ali

Hello Ali

Actually it was not me who raised the issue initially, it was someone who sent me a private message about it.

Regarding the sort of strobing effect that you observe, what colurs would be better please?

It would be good to know how many people observe that effect, though even it is only one person affected that is one more than I want, so I will gladly change the colours.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

2 hours ago, William Overington said:

Regarding the sort of strobing effect that you observe, what colurs would be better please?

You chose two colours with what I would call fluorescence. They clash. Find a colour wheel and choose more muted complementary colours. I could suggest thousands of pairings, but it's your choice.

Actually it was not me who raised the issue initially, it was someone who sent me a private message about it.

Pedantry, William! It was YOU who raised it here in this thread. ;)

Ali 🙂

Hobby photographer.
Running Affinity Suite V2 on Windows 11 17" HP Envy i7 (8th Gen) & Windows 11 MS Surface Go 3 alongside MS365 (Insider Beta Channel).

9 minutes ago, Ali said:

You chose two colours with what I would call flourescence. They clash.

I tried to find gentle colours to convey a peaceful message.

9 minutes ago, Ali said:

Find a colour wheel and choose more muted complementary colours. I could suggest thousands of pairings, but it's your choice.

My choice is to choose colours that allow you to view the message without problems. So please help me in that choice.

I would have thought that those colours are muted.

Would complementary colours be more likely to produce strange visual effects?

9 minutes ago, Ali said:

Pedantry, William! It was YOU who raised it here in this thread. ;)

Precision, not pedantry.

William

1 hour ago, William Overington said:

I tried to find gentle colours to convey a peaceful message. ... I would have thought that those colours are muted.

The colours you chose are not gentle - they are extremely harsh. They are not muted.

Would complementary colours be more likely to produce strange visual effects?

No, because they complement each other. The colours you chose DO produce a strange visual effect: where they meet, there is the dizzying strobe effect I mentioned. Can you not see it yourself? The edges of the letters appear to move.

So please help me in that choice.

Here's one of MANY online resources:

https://brightside.me/article/the-ultimate-color-combinations-cheat-sheet-92405/

The outer two rings are where you will find the more muted, 'peaceful' tones. The middle ring is where the brighest, harshest colours are - avoid those.

Precision, not pedantry.

Mmm ... I'm not going to pursue this. I know from bitter experience it would be pointless (and I'd end up frazzled). :)

Ali 🙂

Hobby photographer.

13 minutes ago, Ali said:

Can you not see it yourself?

No.

13 minutes ago, Ali said:

Here's one of MANY online resources:

https://brightside.me/article/the-ultimate-color-combinations-cheat-sheet-92405/

The outer two rings are where you will find the more muted, 'peaceful' tones. The middle ring is where the brighest, harshest colours are - avoid those.

I just don't follow how to choose two colours from those diagrams that will hopefully resolve the problem

I am trying to help. If you say which two colours you would like then I can try to produce that version and ask if it looks good for you.

I am stuck.

William

35 minutes ago, William Overington said:

If you say which two colours you would like then I can try to produce that version and ask if it looks good for you.

No, William. I'm not going to hold your hand on this, sorry.

You have the time to work through this yourself: look at it as part of your research. I suggest you try each pair together on your card, alternating background and text. Compare them and choose the one that is most pleasing. That does not mean the one that is most in your face. Maybe come up with four options, post them here all together and ask members which they find the most pleasant to look at.

Let us know how you get on.

Ali 🙂

Hobby photographer.

10 hours ago, smadell said:

You can easily simulate different forms of color blindness without ever leaving Affinity Photo.

A good tip for those of us who have Affinity Photo (which not all of us do, of course).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Ali said:

You have the time to work through this yourself: look at it as part of your research.

My research is about communication through the language barrier.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/localizable_sentences_research.htm

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/138654-artwork-for-greetings-cards/

1 hour ago, Ali said:

Let us know how you get on.

How about this version?

2145175580_WishingyouaPeacefulChristmas2.png.aa027b5fbdd3545d8af54521f0a399b3.png

William

The second one is much better. I can look at it, for starters. If I were to be hyper-critical, I'd probably take the pink towards a mauve shade (somewhere between the two), but as it is, it is fine now.

My research is about communication through the language barrier.

Presenting text (or any icons or glyphs or whatever) in colour on a background and making it work is part of the communication. You can't communicate effectively if some people cannot even comfortably look at the communication, so it is ENTIRELY relevant to your research, but hey, I gave you another opportunity to promote your localisable wotsits. ;)

Ali 🙂

Hobby photographer.

@Jenna Appleseed

Hi

I notice that you posted a 'Confused' comment, timed at three hours ago, to my post of 19 December 2021 that has 09:57 am as the timestamp..

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/154592-some-people-have-a-disability-detecting-colours/&do=findComment&comment=870878

How may I help?

William

Edited to add a link to the post that I mentioned, as suggested later in this thread by Alfred

3 hours ago, William Overington said:

my post of 19 December 2021 that has 09:57 am as the timestamp

Why don’t you link to the post in question via the ‘Share’ option offered on the menu that appears when you click on the ellipsis in the top right-hand corner? Then the user will be spared the tedium of scrolling to find it, and there will be no confusion about the timestamp (which may differ according to the user’s time zone).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

50 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Why don’t you link to the post in question via the ‘Share’ option offered on the menu that appears when you click on the ellipsis in the top right-hand corner? Then the user will be spared the tedium of scrolling to find it, and there will be no confusion about the timestamp (which may differ according to the user’s time zone).

It just did not occur to me to do it.

I'll try to do it now.

William

• 3 months later...
On 12/19/2021 at 2:57 AM, William Overington said:

No.

I just don't follow how to choose two colours from those diagrams that will hopefully resolve the problem

Not being a designer myself, or having a natural sense of color, I find color wheels (which is what you saw at the 'Color Combinations' link) useful. They help you pick color combinations that work together; if the info at that site isn't sufficient, Google 'color wheels'.

Windows 11 Pro, XP-Pen Deco 03, AP, AD & APub