You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer freezes upon using Export Persona when saving to Google Drive

Heinrichdsf

I'm finding when using the Export Persona, saving to a Google Drive location locally, that it freezes and I just keep getting the spinner. I then have to force quit.

However, when I use File > Export to a Google Drive location it does not Freeze. Not ideal as I don't get the features I rely upon from the Export persona.

I'm on the latest version of the software (1.10.4) and also Mac Os (12.0.1 Monterey).

What's going on?

• Staff

We do have some issues regarding saving and cloud drives logged with our developers and some of them relate to Google Drive. Ideally I suggest saving locally first and then move the files to Google Drive manually, same applies to loading files. As we've found that saving/loading directly to cloud drives can increase the risk of data corruption.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I have the same problem. Interestingly enough it only happens on my Mac, not on my PC. (maybe that gives some more clues for solving this issue)

But I'm with Heinrichdsf, Google Drive is essential for my business workflow and saving locally/move manually isn't a valid solution for me.
Any new insights when this issue will be tackled?

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have some news on this?

It's really not bearable for my workflow, as some files are "stuck", because as soon as the export modular window opens, Affinity freezes and I'm not able to change the directory to a local folder.

Okay, I think I have a solution. It seems that it's a problem between Google Drive and MacOS, or better Spotlight.
I did the following:

- Go to System Preferences > Spotlight
- Go to 'Privacy' (Tab)
- Hit '+' and add your Google 'drive' to prevent Spotlight to search through it.

With this, I didn't have any issues so far. Hope it helps.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'll be thinking HARD on throwing out money again for an Affinity app, if V.2 ever comes out and they charge again for it, as rumors say :)) You can find the workaround in my year old post. Aka. let it crash 2-3x, then DON'T turn off your mac. After every mac restart, it WILL crash 2-3x.

While I do understand Affinity has a staff of 10 or so, I do not consider it OK to let errors like this linger for a full year or more. And other bugs too that make you lose money and time to find workarounds.

On 12/17/2021 at 4:29 PM, Heinrichdsf said:

I'm finding when using the Export Persona, saving to a Google Drive location locally, that it freezes and I just keep getting the spinner. I then have to force quit.

However, when I use File > Export to a Google Drive location it does not Freeze. Not ideal as I don't get the features I rely upon from the Export persona.

I'm on the latest version of the software (1.10.4) and also Mac Os (12.0.1 Monterey).

What's going on?

Same thing with using a collaborative dropbox set up with synced local files. Always fails to export first time (of the day, switch off overnight). Seems to work fine after App restart. 

Mac Studio M1 Max 32GB RAM running Sonoma 14.2.1
ASUS ProArt screen and Hewlett Packard HD second screen. 
Affinity Suite 2.4.0 and Beta releases

I'm finding the exact problem when exporting to Dropbox as well. App crashes, then it works the second time. This is repeatable every time.

Mac OS 12.5.1 | App 1.10.5 | 2021 Apple M1 Max MacBook Pro | Multiple external hard drives are connected as well as a secondary monitor. But issue seems to land squarely on the Export Persona's ability to export to Dropbox (or any cloud storage evidently). 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/9/2022 at 10:44 PM, devanbumstead said:

I'm finding the exact problem when exporting to Dropbox as well. App crashes, then it works the second time. This is repeatable every time.

Mac OS 12.5.1 | App 1.10.5 | 2021 Apple M1 Max MacBook Pro | Multiple external hard drives are connected as well as a secondary monitor. But issue seems to land squarely on the Export Persona's ability to export to Dropbox (or any cloud storage evidently). 

My experience varies. Most of the time it just keeps crashing so I don't even bother using the export persona (not great when you are a web designer and rely on it). Then on very rare occasions, when I am feelign lucky, I chance using it and it works. However mine crashes no matter where I try to save the files to; local or cloud storage.

• 1 month later...
On 1/25/2022 at 6:16 AM, SnapArtboardsToPixels said:

Same for me, it seemed like that the local export was working but now I've noticed that both are crashing during most exports.

Same issue here, even in V2 version. Every time I'm in Export Persona and exporting a file, the moment I want to select a folder Designer is freezing up. Thought V2 would have solved this problem but no!!!

Mac OS Ventura 13.0.1 | App 2.0.0 | 2022 Apple M1 Max Studio

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

In my case, exporting a single file (slice) works fine, but Designer freezes when I try to export multiple slices at once by clicking on the button at the bottom of the slice panel. When it freezes, I have to force quit the app in order to do anything else.

Once you are able to save a single file to a folder, though, it lets you export multiple slices. But then, when you try to export multiple slices at once with another file, Designer freezes after showing the finder dialog.

It has happened on V1 and continues to do so on V2.

I use the following:

• macOS Ventura 13.1
  • Affinity Designer 2.0.4
  • Mac Studio 2022 M1 Max

I use Google Drive and it is running in the back, but I am saving files on the local drive, not to the Google Drive folder. I also use Adobe Creative Cloud storage, and I usually save to a folder which is synced with it.

I really hope this gets fixed soon.

• 2 weeks later...