You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I create a sheared fill without skewing an object?

That's a gradient fill shown above in a skewed rect. - In the rect (I used a straight none skewed one here) adjust the gradient node/point handles, drag them horizontally left and/or right in order how you need then just the inner gradient to be skewed. By manipulating the positions of the gradient handles (points/nodes) you can adjust the inner gradient orientation to your likings (like skewing only that one).

bild1.jpg.f08ce499b22409eb03a1782de3170a61.jpg

bild2.jpg.8fe48f9fd19ad59366c4201f18072c92.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

I want the extra nodes though. They're really useful for really long artboards. I even tried cheating trying to skew a rectangle then copying its style but I didn't quite get it.

1451436241_ScreenShot2021-12-16at19_18_03.thumb.png.6e5b0cf8941211b835d6be19b3ba2ed7.png

I had just gotten it earlier today but since then closed the document and I can't undo back to it anymore. :(

Oh well... Thank you anyway!

1) skew your object arbitrarily.
2) draw your gradient arbitrarily (you will be able to fine tune the direction etc after step 3).
3) UNskew your object (type 0 in the Transform panel).

Now you'll have the extra gradient handles in a single unskewed object. To what end I'm not sure, but... c'est la vie 🤩.
(Keep in mind though that, when manipulating the gradient, if you release when at at 90º (to itself) the extra handles will disappear and you will have to repeat the process).

4 hours ago, JimmyJack said:

Now you'll have the extra gradient handles in a single unskewed object. To what end I'm not sure, but... c'est la vie 🤩.

What does having the extra handles enable that can't be done with the ordinary two handle version?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7