You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

All layers should have a lock icon.

All layers should have a lock icon. I dont know whats going on. I dont know whos logic it is a serif but this needs to change ASAP. I hate how theres no lock icon on layers. Instead, the lock icon is at the very top right corner of the layers panel. Why? Just why?! Whos logic is this? Like, thats like taking the checkmark icon to each layer, removing it from each layer, and putting it at the top right corner. Its just so wrong. You need that check mark icon and you need the lock icon. Youre forcing me to go all the way to the top right corner of the layers panel just to view or hide my layer and now I have to lock my layer by going up there as well. Its ridiculous. The check mark icon and the lock icon NEED to be on each layer because they relate to the layers! I'm so upset right now. Whos logic is this at serif? Its so wrong and its so simple to put a lock icon next to the check mark icon. You literally do it when a layer is locked.  

PLEASE add a lock icon to all layers. 

locked layer.png

12 hours ago, MoonaticDestiny said:

Just why?!

Most users seem to use unlocked layers, which is their basic state, so displaying an unlocked lock with an information value of zero (identical to the unlocked lock symbol not shown) only takes up space for the layer name / description. When locking a layer, when I still have to click somewhere, it doesn't matter if I click on the same place in the Layers panel header, or on some symbol in the relevant layer. The logic is, in my opinion, exactly the same as with the Opacity, BlendMode, BlendRange and Fx settings, which are also set in one place in the header/footer, and not in each layer.

For me "-1" for this request, because I do not have the slightest problem in the current way.

Edit: If something needed improvement, it would be useful to indicate the status - that there has been some change in the parameters of the layer, that is, that Opacity is not 100%, that BlendMode is not Normal / Passtrough, that there has been a modification of BlendRange. In my opinion, this indication of non-default layer parameters could easily merge with the fact that some fx effects are applied to the layer, and even with the fact that the layer is locked. An appropriate form of the indication icon could accommodate all these situations.

Edited by Pšenda

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/15/2021 at 7:07 PM, MoonaticDestiny said:

All layers should have a lock icon. I dont know whats going on. I dont know whos logic it is a serif but this needs to change ASAP. I hate how theres no lock icon on layers. Instead, the lock icon is at the very top right corner of the layers panel. Why? Just why?! Whos logic is this? Like, thats like taking the checkmark icon to each layer, removing it from each layer, and putting it at the top right corner. Its just so wrong. You need that check mark icon and you need the lock icon. Youre forcing me to go all the way to the top right corner of the layers panel just to view or hide my layer and now I have to lock my layer by going up there as well. Its ridiculous. The check mark icon and the lock icon NEED to be on each layer because they relate to the layers! I'm so upset right now. Whos logic is this at serif? Its so wrong and its so simple to put a lock icon next to the check mark icon. You literally do it when a layer is locked.  

PLEASE add a lock icon to all layers. 

locked layer.png

I gotta admit this bugs me a bit too.

I could see the argument for saving space in the layer name area but if you're going to have the locked icon there anyways, why not just have the unlock there as well?  Seems like over thinking it to me and yes it is a pain to have to go up to the top right corner each time to lock a layer. Both icons should just be in the same spot. A simple fix.

2 hours ago, retrograde said:

it is a pain to have to go up to the top right corner each time to lock a layer

If you lock layers enough for this to be a pain, I would suggest rather that you assign a keyboard shortcut to Layer -> Lock.

Then you don't need to move the mouse at all.

For me, locking a layer is rare enough that I am perfectly content with the current arrangement (and would likely forget the keyboard shortcut more often than I would use it), but there is a middle approach here: the icon (to lock an unlocked layer) could become visible when the mouse rolls over that general area in the panel.  That way it is not cluttering the view when the layer is not locked, but it is still readily available when someone wants to access it.  I don't think this is a better approach than the one being taken now, but if it is impacting someone's workflow, that could easily be a better option than would be always displaying it.

10 hours ago, retrograde said:

Seems like over thinking it to me and yes it is a pain to have to go up to the top right corner each time to lock a layer.

As I understand it, you have the same problem (you have to think about it and you have to move the mouse to the header or footer of the Layers panel) with the Opacity setting of the layer, with its Blend mode, Blend range and fx. So like an unlocked lock, should they be directly on each line? - it would have an identical reason and logic.

Personally, I use the Opacity, Blend mode and fx settings far more often than the aforementioned locking, also because non-locking by Affinity is completely useless to me.

Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

23 hours ago, fde101 said:

If you lock layers enough for this to be a pain, I would suggest rather that you assign a keyboard shortcut to Layer -> Lock.

Then you don't need to move the mouse at all.

For me, locking a layer is rare enough that I am perfectly content with the current arrangement (and would likely forget the keyboard shortcut more often than I would use it), but there is a middle approach here: the icon (to lock an unlocked layer) could become visible when the mouse rolls over that general area in the panel.  That way it is not cluttering the view when the layer is not locked, but it is still readily available when someone wants to access it.  I don't think this is a better approach than the one being taken now, but if it is impacting someone's workflow, that could easily be a better option than would be always displaying it.

I do have it set to a shortcut for that very reason. It's more of a UI thing to me. If you have a locked padlock icon when it's locked there should be an open padlock when it's unlocked in the same location. 

1 minute ago, retrograde said:

there should be an open padlock when it's unlocked

Why?

We don't see a "no FX" icon when there are not layer FX applied.

It's a status indicator, not a control.  It behaves like the other status indicators do.

Having it behave differently from the other status indicators would be an inconsistency and thus a UX issue.

12 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Why?

We don't see a "no FX" icon when there are not layer FX applied.

It's a status indicator, not a control.  It behaves like the other status indicators do.

Having it behave differently from the other status indicators would be an inconsistency and thus a UX issue.

Good point. I think 30 years using illustrator can cloud ones judgement. Not to mention fighting muscle memory...

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2022 at 4:21 PM, retrograde said:

Both icons should just be in the same spot.

Exactly. Both icons should just be on the layers and Im so tired of ppls logic of "oh, well its to keep things clean and save up on space for the layer." Just stop with that logic. If you want to save space then there should be NOTHING on a layer. Not even a name for that layer or the checkmark. Its simple. I have a layer that i want to lock? I go to that layer in my layers panel and hit the lock icon on that layer. I want to unlock it? Just hit the unlock icon on that layer. Simple. Just on and off BUT NOOOOO. I have to go the top right corner of the layers panel and lock it? Like, what is that?

I made a post about this a while back, but I need to talk about it again because it really is frustrating. 

I need the lock icon to be on all layers/artboards created. I need it. I just can not be going to the top right corner of the layers panel and hitting the lock icon to lock something. I CAN NOT. It is so annoying. It is so annoying to want to lock something, go to THAT layer in the layers panel and realize I cant because the lock icon isnt there. Instead, I have to go to the top right corner of the layers panel and hit the lock icon there because thats where the lock icon is. Like, what is going on?

If I want to hide my layer, I would just go to THAT layer and hit the checkmark icon to hide it. Simple. Very easy to do. If I want to lock my layer, I would go THAT layer and then hit the lock ico----oh.......thats right. There is no lock icon because I have to go to the top right corner and hit the lock icon there to lock it. Like? Ugh! What is this design!?  It is bad design, and I'm so tired of it because my work flow is being interrupted. My workflow is forcing me to go to the top right corner of the layers panel.

I dont want to go to the top right corner of the layers panel!

This top right corner movement is problematic. Its this top right corner thats interrupting my workflow. If my workflow is being interrupted then there is an issue there and that issue is the placement of the lock icon being at the top right corner. I need my lock icon next to my layer so that I'm not doing this top right corner movement. This movement is interrupting my workflow.

So heres that solution. I can not be doing this top right corner movement. This top right corner movement to get to the lock icon in the layers panel is the issue. I shouldn't be moving to that top right corner. I should be going to my layer and hitting the lock icon there. So what we need to do is bring that lock icon down and place it on each layer. HOWEVER! Thats another issue. I DONT WANT TO SEE A VISIBLE LOCK ICON ON EACH LAYER. Why? Because thats too many lock icons on each layer and its not pleasant to the eye to be seeing all these lock icons. So what do we do? We do what adobe illustrator cs5 does. They take the lock icon and add it to each layer BUT they dont show the lock icon on each layer. Instead, they provide an empty toggle box on each layer that when toggled on will lock your layer. THATS WHAT WE NEED. We need an empty toggle box on each layer/artboard that is going to represent a layer being lock and when I click on this empty toggle box the lock icon will appear to show that that layer has been locked. This is the solution. This is the solution because the empty toggle box solves the issue of not having my layers flooded with several lock icons but it also allows me to lock my layer ON MY LAYER. Theres no going to the top right corner of the layers panel and locking my layer there. Its all done on my layer. So if I click the empty toggle box on my layer, a lock icon will appear to indicate my layer is locked. And when I want to unlock my layer, simply click that lock icon and my layer will unlock but there will still be an empty toggle box icon on that layer. 
This is what needs to happen because I cant be going to the top right corner of the layers panel all the time. It is so frustrating.

And this is also the solution because when you lock a layer/artboard in affinity desiger, a lock icon appears on that layer. And when you unlock that layer, that lock icon disappears. So clicking this empty toggle box will make a lock icon appear to indicate that your layer is locked and clicking that lock icon will unlock your layer BUT there is still a visible empty toggle box on your layer to let you know that this toggle box is for locking or unlocking your layer. 

Below is an image of the solution. No more going to the top right corner of the layers panel to lock your layer and your layers are clutter free of lock icons because an empty toggle box will help you lock and unlock your layer. 

Locked Layers.jpg

11 hours ago, MoonaticDestiny said:

empty toggle box

There will be two empty boxes next to each other in your design - one for locking, and the other for enabling and setting visibility. This will be completely confusing for most users - they will click on the wrong boxes, and they will be frustrated that they wanted to affect visibility, but only locked the layer, etc.
Therefore, for me -1.

11 hours ago, MoonaticDestiny said:

I'm so tired of it because my work flow is being interrupted

If your workflow is so affected by the constant need to lock layers, use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+L (and Ctrl+Shift+L for Unlock). You don't even have to select a layer in the Layers panel - just select the object in the document, so your workflow will be significantly faster and easier.
No layer selecting in the Layers panel, no clicking on locks (wherever they are located), just the perfect workflow.

• 5 weeks later...

Adobe Illustrator provides the ideal sample for switching visibility and locking, with two columns where you can switch these parameters for each layer. Even more useful and important is that you can swipe down through this column and rapidly invert the settings (e.g. lock a bunch of layers). This is stuff I use all the time... time is money. Having shortcuts shouldn't be an excuse for not optimising the visual UI. I've said this many times, but you can't assume a user is solely dedicated to your app and is going to learn all the shortcuts and nitty gritty details - the UI has to make access to features visible and efficient; my use of Designer would be less than 1% of my app time, and I would use over a dozen different graphics programs and utilities (many of which use the same shortcut keys to do wildly different things). The Affinity layers palette involved a lot of "pointer moving" (won't say "mouse moves" since I use a Wacom) - selecting a layer then going all the way up to lock it, or all the way down to make a new layer. I know there are shortcuts for these things, but if I've not used the app for a few months I have to look them up again. Why not have a clickable row for "locking" since the space is already reserved for showing the lock icon anyway? why not have all the layer-related controls at the top of the palette in two rows, rather than putting the a bunch down the bottom (although I do see a reason to keep the "trash can"  deletion button a little further away from anything else). Cheers.

Windows 7 & 10 64-bit, Dual Xeon workstation(s) 64gb RAM, and single i7 laptop 32gb RAM

• 1 month later...