You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

Theses recent days i saw that Affinity designer is slowing down, it became hard to use it. I saw others users experienced the same thing

Can someone tell what is the problem and if someone fixed it?

I download an older version (1.6) and it works as before but theses recents days with newer versions it is slowing and hard to use.

Thank you for the help

In order to get assistance you need to specify which OS you are using, Mac or Windows. Some specifications about the computer would also help. What sort of graphics card and how much RAM is available. Are you using a network to store the files or are they on internal or external drives would also be useful information.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thank you for your reply.

Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10510U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.30 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.9 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Edition    Windows 10 Home

Graphic card: NVIDIA Geforce MX350

The files are stored on a internal drive

What is strange to me is that i didn't had this problems few weeks ago so i am wondering if it is a general problem faced by a lot of users or something else.

Thanks

You could try examining your Designer Preferences, and in the Performance section see if Hardware Acceleration (OpenCL) is enabled. If so, disable it and see if that helps.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Try to change the "Renderer" to "warp" too, since WARP is a fallback here, incase AD fails to detect your GPU or there are some issues using your GPU to do the rendering.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

You have 16GB but have told Designer to only use 8GB

If Designer is having to swap out pages to disk this will cause it to be slower 

In the first instance, max the slider to the far right to see if this helps any

Warp will also slow things down, so only use that for testing purposes not as a final solution

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff
On 12/19/2021 at 9:12 PM, Hellodesigners said:

Thank you for your help but nothing changed. What is strange it is that when i downgrade to 1.6, it works fine as before but when i start to upgrade to others versions it slow down. 

In the apps performance settings if you try changing the View Quality dropdown does the performance improve at all or is it still just as slow? Does the app still perform slowly if you save and close your current file then start a new blank one and place some quick shapes?

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Update: 

What i tried to fix the issue according the suggestions of the members of the forum and the Affinity designer member team. But i'm still facing a slow performance

- Disabled OpenCL

- Removed Symbols from the document

- Closed the Asset panel

- Reinstalled GPU driver

- Changed the view quality to Nearest neighbour

- Updated to the version 1.10.4.1198

Any working solution?

Thank you

• 1 month later...

1.10.5.1342 - Was facing performance problems but drawing in vector. TitanX 32Gb Ram, Xeon Server core. tried it on AMD Threadripper, 32GB RTX, Top range RTX Founders eGPU same problem. Slow on pen tool. Same file used to be fine on the previous version. AD has been the tool of choice for years. Odd that it's started to slow down now. So switched to outline view. The problem... a group that had far too many vector ploygons that was created as a shader pattern. So AD was trying to handle way too many vector objects. Solution - Rasterize and trim but kept a backup of the original vector texture just in case. As soon as the texture part was rasterized - AD was back to normal.

So, a feature suggestion: If possible, it would be great to have a vector node threshold warning saying that the document has too many vector vertices / lines.

Also would be create to have a distance count on a vector line, but that not related to this discussion.