You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher Picture information

I included pictures from my asset panel into my layout. Just to be sure I included the right version I'd like to get some information on the referenced original file (name). Is there any way to retrive this information from a picture in the layout somehow? Even file format or size would be helpful.

Cheers, Timo

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

If you create the Asset from an (Image) layer, then when you use the Asset in a document the Resource Manager will know the original file's name and location.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, DarkClown said:

The assets were imported JPGs - and they don't show up in the ressource manager 😞

But were they (Image) layers when you added them to Assets, or had you rasterized them?

For me, a Placed JPG that is an (Image) layer does retain its information in the Assets panel, and then in the Resource Manager when the Asset is put into a document,

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hmmm, I added the Assets via drag & drop to the assets panel. Of course they show up as layers in the document on the referring page once I dropped them from the asset panel to the document. But they don't show up in the ressource manager ...

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2

I played around with this ... it seems like not all assets are recognised for what type of element they really are (I'm aware that assets can be various types of elements but I don't see the benefit, if the file information is lost when placed in the assets panel). A picture from the asset panel that was added by drag and drop into the assets is lost for the ressource manager whlie the same picture placed in the document as an image and is added to the asset panel by "Add selected" stays on an image layer, can be placed in a document and is still shown in the ressource manager even when used in multiple instances.

It would be great, if image-objects that were added via drag&drop to the asset panel would be identified for what they are and placed on according object layer as well instead of beeing "flattened" flatened to a useless pixel layer.

12 minutes ago, DarkClown said:

A picture from the asset panel that was added by drag and drop into the assets is lost for the ressource manager

If you drag and drop from File Explorer to Assets that happens

But if you place the picture/image-object in a document then drag and drop that to assets, it's in the Resource Manager when you reuse it

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

3 minutes ago, DarkClown said:

That's the problem! Hard to undestand ...

An improvement request may be the best way to proceed

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

On 12/16/2021 at 11:52 AM, carl123 said:

An improvement request may be the best way to proceed

Another useless one? ;-)  .... I think I've given up on "improvement requests" ... (certainly since we are not looking at a bug but just a "workflow improvement" - and those have hardly ever been implemented)