You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Moving from PS.. Is there a way to cycle through blend modes via keyboard?

Welcome to the forums @amul,

I use the Up/Down arrow keys on my pc.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

6 hours ago, CLC said:

I just double-click the blend mode flyout, then use mouse scrolwheel to cycle the blend modes (as it instantly shows the blend mode preview same as hovering over the items in the flyout).

Although using the scroll-wheel to change numeric values in most fields works fine for me, that does not work on my Mac. I am also not sure what you mean about double-clicking -- for me single-clicking & double-clicking both open the fly-out.

Edited by R C-R
corrected misinformation

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

thanks for the quick responses.. I still find it a bit annoying that I have to

1. Mouse over to get to the pull down and then
2. Get to the actual shortcut (up / down)

I suppose I'll need to get used to the new work flow..

IS there a way to keyboard shortcut to access the blend-mode pulldowns?

thanks

14 hours ago, R C-R said:

Although using the scroll-wheel to change numeric values in most fields works fine for me, that does not work on my Mac. I am also not sure what you mean about double-clicking -- for me single-clicking & double-clicking both open the fly-out.

Well, double-click to open and instantly close the flyout (so it's focused, then the scroll-wheel works).
This is how it behaves on Windows, I haven't used Affinity on my Mac for a while (on my Mac, I'm still on ACC).

Spoiler

ACC = Adobe Creative Cloud

9 hours ago, Hens said:

Like @CLC (double)click inside the field and use the arrowkeys(on your keyboard) to scroll up/down

@CLC was suggesting using the scroll wheel to scroll up & down, not the arrow keys, & double-clicking to open & immediately close the blend mode fly-out options. This (using the scroll wheel) does not work on my Mac, & double-clicking on the fly-out does not close it, unless it was already open, just like single-clicking on it if it was already open.

For me, the arrow keys work, but only if the fly-out is open.

So maybe the scroll wheel behavior is a Windows only thing?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

21 hours ago, amul said:

IS there a way to keyboard shortcut to access the blend-mode pulldowns?

No.

I use the arrow keys or type the letters of the name to get to the desired blend mode. This is after a single click to open the menu. Same as any menu on the menubar.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

6 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I use the arrow keys or type the letters of the name to get to the desired blend mode. This is after a single click to open the menu. Same as any menu on the menubar.

For me, the arrow keys work great for quick 'on-the-fly' previews of what a blend will look like. I never thought about typing a few letters of the name but although that works, I do not think it is a good way to cycle through the modes.

Affinity Photo 

all of the above requires mousing over to blend-modes pulldown.

In PS as you drag an image in you can start - / + right away without mousing over to layers pallete ..I think that is a big deal

esp if you do photo illustration-like work and like the unpredictable paths blend mode experimentation can take you

6 minutes ago, amul said:

all of the above requires mousing over to blend-modes pulldown.

In PS as you drag an image in you can start - / + right away without mousing over to layers pallete ..I think that is a big deal

esp if you do photo illustration-like work and like the unpredictable paths blend mode experimentation can take you

While you do have to open the blend mode pulldown, using the up/down arrow keys to cycle through the blend modes is extremely fast & it is even faster to move the pointer up & down the list. This makes it fast & easy to see what each blend mode looks like 'on-the-fly' without committing to any of them.

Affinity Photo 

13 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I do not think it is a good way to cycle through the modes.

It would be hands down the worst way to cycle through.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, Hens said:

I meant to select the dropdown to have it in focus and than use the arrowkeys to select up/down and enter to commit.
On windows the typing of the letters doesn't work.
On the other hand the mousewheel works on all selection fields on windows.😉

So the only 'universal' ways this works on both platforms are via the up/down arrow keys, or hovering the mouse pointer over the items in the open fly-out?

Personally, I (almost) always use the mouse pointer for this because I can skip over the blend modes I know I don't want to use or preview, so for me it ends up being quicker than any of the methods that cycles through all of them.

Affinity Photo