You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Sudden system shutdown in Designer on AMD Ryzen PC running Windows 11 Pro

Alexi

While editing drawings in Designer v. 1.10.4.1198 the system suddenly shuts down. This is on a PC with the AMD Ryzen 4900H hardware running Windows 11 Pro build 22000.348.0. The application is especially unstable when working with embedded bitmaps. It is stable when working with the same drawings on a Dell XPS 15 laptop. I am using the most recent AMD drivers for my system. I tried disabling OpenCL acceleration for AMD Radeon Graphics. Any workarounds or fixes would be appreciated.

ApplicationFrameHost_2VzCYsqUQJ.png

@Pauls

I have uploaded a file that generates sudden shutdowns, along with a crash report from November. Designer does not usually have a chance to create a crash file since we are dealing not just with an application crash, but the whole operating system crashes, then requires a cold restart.

Also, I was able to replicate the sudden shutdown in Publisher, but Photo is stable.

@Pauls

The graphics drives are up-to-date.

There are 8 cores with 16 total threads on the Ryzen 9 Mobile 4900H processor. I set the affinity in for Designer.exe in taskmanger to use 6 threads.  I was able to work with drawings that have embedded bitmaps with no sudden shutdowns. Designer appeared to be stable. I will do further testing.

This is progress.

• Staff

we were wondering if it was acutually overheating or the power supply isnt quite strong enough. Affinity apps can push processors quite hard. Software doesnt cause a system to shutdown unless it's a hardware issue or possibly a driver. Does event viewer indicate any crash reports ?

It's possible there is a problem with the power delivery and cooling of this computer. Early reviews of this system reported there were some thermal issues. Due to the sudden and complete nature of the shutdowns, no information is logged in the Event Viewer. I found this one entry from 12 days ago:

Faulting application name: Designer.exe, version: 1.10.4.1198, time stamp: 0x617b2bf8
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000002b00000157
Faulting process id: 0x1484
Faulting application start time: 0x01d7ebf1c61a3438
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Affinity\Designer\Designer.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: 164503c7-f611-4065-9276-9760182979fc
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

3 hours ago, Pauls said:

I would point a small fan at it initially and see now you go

That sounds like an amusing test. Right now, the system is stable with with the affinity settings you suggested. I have turned OpenCL turned back on and it remains stable. Hopefully, there will be a firmware update and/or driver update from AMD to address the threading issues. I can live with this for now.