You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Processing color film negatives: neutralizing base color

I have an extensive background in conventional film processing and printing, but I'm still relatively new at using Affinity Photo.

I'm digitizing a large number of color negatives using a macro lens on my camera. My procedure has been to white balance on a blank piece of the film to zero out the base color layer of the negative stock; this is conceptually identical to the old days, when we "balanced" roll and package printers for each type of negative being printed. This method works extremely well, giving me a negative that with just a little massaging in Affinity Photo (channel levels and whatever individual color balance adjustments the individual frame may need) produces a print that is at least as good as what I used to be able to get in the darkroom (or on my various roll printers) -- sometimes better.

However, I have encountered a problem: I'm digitizing a bunch of negatives from a very different color stock, but none of them have a big enough piece of the base layer for the camera to white balance; all I have is the blank area between frames. I've tried manipulation without neutralization, and although I can get an acceptable print it's never as good as what I've gotten with my regular method — and it takes far more time.

What I think I need to do is sample the base layer color, invert it, and use that as a filter to neutralize the base color so that I can do my other manipulations. How can I do this in AP?

Thanks!

• Staff

Hi GrantCee,

Please could you provide a sample negative image so I can investigate this issue further for you? :) Any images you provide will be deleted once I have looked at them.

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• 2 weeks later...