You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Margin Shift when inserting blank page in multi-page document

JonnyL

I am creating a book with currently 100 pages. When I insert a blank page, the text frames all shift towards the spine. If I insert a spread, all is good, but if I delete one of the pages, the frames all shift again.

I am using MacOS 12.0.1 and Publisher 1.10.4.It's a real issue for me as I have further chapters being sent to me and am not sure how to manage this problem! 

Thanks for your help,

Jonny

Before.png

After.png

For something like this layout the easiest way to insert a blank single page is to not insert anything. Delete the text frame by selecting it on the layers pane and deleting it. The text will flow on without it. If you have a Master Page with the Text Frames on it things are easier. Select the single page and Apply a None Master Page. Again Text will flow. Now go the end of the document and add a page there.

We aren't adding a blank page, we are moving all the content over by one page.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 2 weeks later...

I always want to ask the question "Why are you adding a page?" Is it to place an Image? If so you can just use the Text Wrap feature. If it is to have the text start on the righthand side of the spread then you can use a page break in the text. Many other solutions for many other problems. As you gain more experience I am sure there will come a time when you start to do something like this and think to yourself... "Hang on... I can do such and such."

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I have a related question. I am laying out a scholarly book with footnotes. As you may know, Affinity does not do automatic footnotes, so I have to add footnotes one by one in separate frames. That is all well and good, but then comes the demand to have book chapters start on the right-hand side. Now this demand has unfortunately not been discussed earlier, so if I move the text down one page (either by breaking the text or deleting one page-full of frame), all my footnote frames stay wherever they were placed and the fnotes no longer refer to items they should. Any ideas how to get around this problem?

Thanks,

K