You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Monterey space bar does not insert word space when typing in Affinity or Photoshop, why?

19,1 iMac, Monterey 12.0.1, Affinity Photo 1.10.4:

I have two keyboards, wired and bluetooth. Both will not insert space between words in Affinity 1.10.4 and Photoshop 2022. Does anyone know what I have done, or what Monterey did? I can type spaces in TextEdit, Safari, here on the Affinity Forum, the Photoshop forum, Notability, Apple Mail, Apple Books, etc. etc. But in two photo programs I cannot get the space bar to insert space when typing words. I have unplugged the iMac, replugged, wiped the SSD, installed only Monterey and photo programs alone. They will not allow the space bar to insert space. But all other apps, yes, it works. Also what is the blue outline box that appears when I am hitting the space bar unsuccessfully?

Edited by blackxacto
additional info

Looks weired, it sets a selection and clears a selection that's all. And what is that floating [1 .. 8] panel indicating here in your case?

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Does it work if you try to type a space normally, rather than inserting it after the fact? 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I have to ask what is the little floating list with 8 selected? Never seen anything like that in 30+ years of working with Macs.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

2 hours ago, blackxacto said:

Both will not insert space between words in Affinity 1.10.4 and Photoshop 2022

What font are you using?

I have run onto this when typing Latin text with certain CJK fonts. But I have not yet investigated why this happens. Does it still happen if you change to a different font?

Could you please attach your test document? I would like to look at what Unicode characters are actually there, if any, that we cannot see.

Another question. Why is your cursor red? Is that a Mac OS 12 thing?

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

13 hours ago, blackxacto said:

1. My cursor is colorful as I want it that way in Monterey.

There have been reports of problems with the colourful cursor reported elsewhere on the web. It seems to cause memory leaks. I haven't heard of it losing white space though.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

There have been reports of problems with the colourful cursor reported elsewhere on the web. It seems to cause memory leaks. I haven't heard of it losing white space though.

Note that the problem with typing spaces was not due to the color cursor, but to the Enable Full Keyboard Access setting.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

5 minutes ago, LibreTraining said:

or anyone, have any idea why that particular setting would do this?

Of course! - See:

... especially there then ...

Navigate using Full Keyboard Access

When Full Keyboard Access is enabled on your Mac, do any of the following:

• Move to the next UI element: Press the Tab key.

• Move to the previous UI element: Press Shift-Tab.

• Move between items in a group (such as a list of files in a folder or items in a sidebar): Press the Up Arrow or Down Arrow key, or the Left Arrow or Right Arrow key. Full Keyboard Access highlights the group and the item within the group that has focus.

• Select an item: Press the Space bar.

• Open a folder: Press the Space bar twice.

• Jump to the menu bar: Press Control-F2.

• Jump to the Dock: Press Fn-A.

• Open Control Center: Press Fn-C.

• Open Notification Center: Press Fn-N.

Temporarily disable Full Keyboard Access

When Full Keyboard Access is enabled on your Mac, you can use Pass-Through Mode to temporarily turn it off when needed—for example, if you’re playing an online game and don’t want Full Keyboard Access to interfere with game interaction—then turn it back on.

• Turn Pass-Through Mode on or off: Press Control-Option-Command-P.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

It's still a puzzle, though, why some apps still allow the OP to type spaces with that setting enabled. They must do something to automatically disable some or all of that access function.

-- Walt
PC:

11 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

They must do something to automatically disable some or all of that access function.

You can check the full keyb access state and react programmatically to it.