You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

iPad Pro Version of Affinity Designer

Hey there !

I love the Idea of Affinity Designer for the iPad and I know that you have plans for publishing a iPad Version. This sounds very awesome to me, but as many companies to scaled down Versions of their products for the iPad I'm scared it will be the same here. (Even if it's not needed due to technical limitations - the new iPads are fast enough for a lot of things)

I'd like to have a full-fledged Affinity Designer Version on the iPad Pro. A lot of people including me would also pay the full price (dirt cheap) for the iPad version. I'd also really appreciate a Lite and a full version -- the light version being costing two bucks or free and the full version at it's normal price.

Long story short: Please don't do a crippled iPad version!

Feature request for the iPad version (that I'm sure you've already thought of); let us install our own fonts within the app from iCloud Drive/Dropbox or wherever. Apps like Anyfont are great for getting around this limitation, but a bit cumbersome.

Really looking forward to this next year!

...in fact, at certain tasks it may even turn out to be faster than your desktop computer! We're very excited about this project! :D

if you mean that it will be faster because the user is faster great, if the code is running better on an arm than on a high end intel then there is a problem (yes I know the ipad pro is very powerful and approaching macs, but it is not as fast as the mbp or desktops yet)

if you mean that it will be faster because the user is faster great, if the code is running better on an arm than on a high end intel then there is a problem (yes I know the ipad pro is very powerful and approaching macs, but it is not as fast as the mbp or desktops yet)

The iPP GPU is very good, more capable than any Intel desktop IGP. If they use a lot of OpenCL or start using Metal, this could result in better performance. AD on the iPP might create a hype, be prepared :D

• Staff

There's no 'problem' - it's just that the chip on the iPad allows for truly shared memory between GPU and CPU meaning we're free to use the GPU to process massively parallel tasks in a fraction of the time that the CPU could manage it and we don't have to pay the price of getting the memory back again to the CPU afterwards because it's the same piece of memory... No matter how much you pay for your Intel chip, it can't do that... For us, it's potentially a very big deal... :)

There's no 'problem' - it's just that the chip on the iPad allows for truly shared memory between GPU and CPU meaning we're free to use the GPU to process massively parallel tasks in a fraction of the time that the CPU could manage it and we don't have to pay the price of getting the memory back again to the CPU afterwards because it's the same piece of memory... No matter how much you pay for your Intel chip, it can't do that... For us, it's potentially a very big deal... :)

WELL THEN. Someone needs to go give intel a piece of my mind! ... I just got a new rMBP 2015 in may.............. I can't afford an iPP too......

But that is cool, didn't know the iPP worked like that.

The A9X has a 12 core GPU and dual core CPU, that's why it whips intel's Core M processor in the new Macbooks (not the MBPros which use the quad core i7). I'd MUCH prefer an iPP + Pencil with Affinity suite to a MB in terms of performance and user experience, assuming the devs hit a home run on the touch + pencil UI layer of Affinity on iOS, which I'm confident they will do....

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

The A9X has a 12 core GPU and dual core CPU, that's why it whips intel's Core M processor in the new Macbooks (not the MBPros which use the quad core i7). I'd MUCH prefer an iPP + Pencil with Affinity suite to a MB in terms of performance and user experience, assuming the devs hit a home run on the touch + pencil UI layer of Affinity on iOS, which I'm confident they will do....

Agree about iPP over macbook but MattP is saying that the iPP will be faster than the MBP!

I bet because Metal is optimized from Apple's ARM processors, while intel CPU is probably not...

Agree about iPP over macbook but MattP is saying that the iPP will be faster than the MBP!

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

I bet because Metal is optimized from Apple's ARM processors, while intel CPU is probably not...

its not about how metal works thats a software difference, this is about a hardware difference, in the ipad the cpu and gpu use the same physcial memory. in intel they each have their own physical memory and you have to copy stuff between them so they can work on the same things then copy it back when they are done

Yes for sure that is a tremendous advantage, as well as the 12 GPU cores (!!!)

its not about how metal works thats a software difference, this is about a hardware difference, in the ipad the cpu and gpu use the same physcial memory. in intel they each have their own physical memory and you have to copy stuff between them so they can work on the same things then copy it back when they are done

Metal does ;)

That sounds cool but I'm willing to bet devs don't see several of those as they are busy pushing 5.6mil pixels all the time.