You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.3.5.15 - RC5)

• Staff

Purpose: Improvements / Fixes 

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Designer
Mac App Store: Not Submitted
Download: Here

To use this beta, simply download the file from the link given above and double-click on the file to open the installer. Follow the instructions to install the beta version. The beta sits alongside the Mac App Store version and will not interfere with it. Please note that if you use features which are only present in the Beta version then save your document, it will no longer open in the Mac App Store version.

This is a Release Candidate build. It is our intention to submit this for review to Apple in the first week of December. Any help you could offer to stabilise and refine the product at this stage will be very gratefully received     :)  We won't be implementing any new features now for this version and we will be focusing on stabilising the product for the immediate future. We will obviously start adding more features again as soon as this update goes live.

Improvements / Fixes

- Default all raster exports to "Embed ICC Profile".

- Improved canvas rotation detection logic (to avoid accidentally rotating while zooming).
- PDF import improvements.
- PDF overprint export improvements.
- Character panel improvements.
- Fix for crash when trying to export selected item when there is no selection.
- Fixed tabbing issues between some controls.
- Localisation improvements.
- Drawing fixes for OS X 10.7 when switching active document.
- Fixed crash when resizing a document when only width or height are changed.

- Fix for crash when trying to export selected item when there is no selection.

Matt.P ;) 

Awesome job guys.... Thanks.

Allan

About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/mystrawberrymonkey/

Twitter: @StrawberryMnky  @imAllanThompson

Web: mystrawberrymonkey.com  Portfolio: behance.net/allanthompson

YouTube: Affinity Designer & Photo Tutorials

Hi everybody,

are you still working on the grids? I still believe there is the problem, that grids that were created for an art board (different ones for different ones) do not move with the art board. And I have a suggestion for improving the user experience.

• I created a document with a 100 x 1000 px grid, and placed two art boards on the document, whose boundaries respected this very grid. Then I gave the second art board a grid of 30 x 1000 px, as it is not unreasonable to have different column sizes on different art boards. As my first movie (“01_Progress.mov”) shows, you can snap a path correctly to the grid of the second art board, as soon as the art board’s entry is clicked for at least one time on the layers list. 

So my first suggestion would be: As soon as an object is moved to another art board, it should immediately snap to the custom grid of that very art board, and that grid should be highlighted on touching the art board on the canvas, i.e. when we are moving an object onto that art board (or inside it, as you like). We should not have to click that art board’s entry on the layers list first, just to see and enable its custom grid.

• For my second movie (“02_Fail.mov”), I moved the second art board a wee bit to the left, exactly by 12 pixels. Although the grid seems to move with the art board (have a look at the grid lines), in fact it does not. When you try to snap the path to the “moved” grid, it snaps still to the lines of the grid before the translation.

That seems to be a bug … and it renders the option of creating different grids on different art boards essentially useless, in my opinion. But I might be doing something wrong as well, and I wonder why nobody else reported this issue … :unsure:

But thanks for all your efforts, Alex :)

Thanks, Allan! Wouldn't have found it in time if you hadn't given me the crucial piece of info! :D

Yeah, bit of a weird one. Took a little while to work it out and realise it just wasn't one particular project. :)

Allan.

About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/mystrawberrymonkey/

Twitter: @StrawberryMnky  @imAllanThompson

Web: mystrawberrymonkey.com  Portfolio: behance.net/allanthompson

YouTube: Affinity Designer & Photo Tutorials

When using grids with art boards, I'm finding that points are not aligning to the grid properly (with align to grid turned on), it seems to be offset by a bit. (video attached)

Also noticed that if you create art boards in a document that has a custom grid already, the Grid and Axis Manager dialogue box has all the custom settings grayed out. You have to check and uncheck Use Automatic Grid. (video attached)

Also just noticed that with 2 art boards, grid snapping will work on the first art board but not (or not correctly) on the 2nd art board. (video attached)

artboard-grid.mov

grid-settings-grayed-out.mov

second-artboard-no-snap.mov

Now, I just expect for the fix to the editable texts issues when converting to PSD file, to open in Photoshop (at least) and similars. I don't wanna use Photoshop no longer, but it will be good for other professionals that I work when they don't have Affinity Designer / Photo. 

I miss yet the pick tool (for styles) and the text hyphenation.

In the rest, all has been amazing! Congrats! 

Thank goodness, that there’s someone else who experienced this as well, celliot80 … I just started to feel a little dumb …  :)

And here’s another suggestion concerning art boards, grids and margins: Since we can have multiple art boards with multiple attributes in a single document, I would suggest to reduce confusion by changing menu item names and by labelling windows and panels appropriately:

• Suppose we have created two art boards A and B on a document. Then the single menu entry File > Document Setup … controls three different sets of object attributes. It controls (a.) the attributes of the document (both art boards), when no art board is selected, (b.) the attributes of art board A, when A is selected, and (c.) the attributes of art board B, when B is selected. I believe we need a Setup List, just as in my sketch below. (Please don’t mind the crudeness of my quick mock-up.)
  • The same goes for grids. We need a Setup List for Grids as well.
  • Last but not least, the menu entry Document Setup … does not seem appropriate anymore, when we are dealing with multiple art boards.

Hope you don’t mind these comments. Thanks for considering,

Alex  :)

post-1198-0-19651600-1449044031_thumb.png

Hi Affinty, RC5 looks pretty stable to me, thnx!

few questions/tips about artboards:

– when duplicating in layers menu, copy of artboard is placed over the original. Shouldn't it be moved to a free space on canvas?

– when I copy object on artboard 1, then select artboard 2 and paste the objects, they are pasted over the artboard 1… I would really prefer to paste them inside the artboard 2, in the best case on the same relative position…

an idea about colors:

– would it be possible to define swatch color in different color spaces? Companies usually have visual identity manual with predefined colors in different spaces (and the values are usually not just transferred from rgb to cmyk). Would be very handy, if we can define let say AFFINITY BLUE in one swatch color with values for (RGB, CMYK, SPOT) and the correct values would be used according to output, screen etc. would be useful… :-) What I do right now when defining palate for client, I  make AFFINITY BLUE (RGB) swatch, and AFFINITY BLUE (CMYK) swatch. Or did I miss something how to handle this?

Thax for making AD better and better, anyway!

I'm not sure if this is a bug but I created a path and added text on that path. I could not select and move the path.

In the appstore version this works but not in the beta... :(

It's a bug, recently introduced. The path text doesn't have a proper frame to carry the handles. It'll be fixed in the next beta. Path text created since the bug was introduced will need its path tweaked with the Node tool to get the frame back.

• Staff

Convert to curves does make sense for artboards - you can take a rectangular artboard, convert it to curves then use the Node tool to manipulate it. Stroke options don't make sense though, that's very true... They're not harmful and if you choose to convert the artboard back into a normal object you'll find that those attributes have been correctly set onto the object and will reappear. I'll try to have a good think about it... :)

I have a big problem: When I try to export a 8-pages (artboards) document to PDF for print, I get the error message that the document cannot be exported.

It's cmyk, euroscale coated v2. An older version gets exported with our problems.

What can be the reason?

It is urgent,because I have to deliver the layout as an PDF until tomorrow to my customer.

Can you please help? 

SVG import doesn't know how to deal with rgba() color references

Following example imports shapes without colours. Circle-rgba.svg

<svg width="96px" height="96px" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
<g style="">
  <ellipse cx="48.000000" cy="48.000000" rx="47.000000" ry="47.000000" style="fill: rgba(28, 223, 0, 1.000000); " />
  <ellipse cx="48.000000" cy="48.000000" rx="39.000000" ry="39.000000" style="fill: rgba(131, 255, 0, 1.000000); " />
  <rect x="46.000000" y="14.000000" width="4.000000" height="70.000000" style="fill: rgba(0, 0, 0, 1.000000); " />
  <rect x="13.000000" y="47.000000" width="70.000000" height="4.000000" style="fill: rgba(0, 0, 0, 1.000000); " />
</g>
</svg>

This example imports shapes with colours. Circle-rgb.svg

<svg width="96px" height="96px" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
<g style="">
  <ellipse cx="48.000000" cy="48.000000" rx="47.000000" ry="47.000000" style="fill: rgb(28, 223, 0); " />
  <ellipse cx="48.000000" cy="48.000000" rx="39.000000" ry="39.000000" style="fill: rgb(131, 255, 0); " />
  <rect x="46.000000" y="14.000000" width="4.000000" height="70.000000" style="fill: rgb(0, 0, 0); " />
  <rect x="13.000000" y="47.000000" width="70.000000" height="4.000000" style="fill: rgb(0, 0, 0); " />
</g>
</svg>

I've tried with 1.3.5 and 1.3.5.15 RC5

• Staff

I have a big problem: When I try to export a 8-pages (artboards) document to PDF for print, I get the error message that the document cannot be exported.

It's cmyk, euroscale coated v2. An older version gets exported with our problems.

What can be the reason?

It is urgent,because I have to deliver the layout as an PDF until tomorrow to my customer.

Can you please help? 

I think you'd need to send us the file in order for anyone to be able to give you a useful response... If you send it to support@seriflabs.com then we can try to look at it and delete the file afterwards, thanks :)

• Staff

SVG import doesn't know how to deal with rgba() color references

Following example imports shapes without colours. attachicon.gifCircle-rgba.svg

<g style="">
  <ellipse cx="48.000000" cy="48.000000" rx="47.000000" ry="47.000000" style="fill: rgba(28, 223, 0, 1.000000); " />
  <ellipse cx="48.000000" cy="48.000000" rx="39.000000" ry="39.000000" style="fill: rgba(131, 255, 0, 1.000000); " />
  <rect x="46.000000" y="14.000000" width="4.000000" height="70.000000" style="fill: rgba(0, 0, 0, 1.000000); " />
  <rect x="13.000000" y="47.000000" width="70.000000" height="4.000000" style="fill: rgba(0, 0, 0, 1.000000); " />
</g>
</svg>

This example imports shapes with colours. attachicon.gifCircle-rgb.svg

<g style="">
  <ellipse cx="48.000000" cy="48.000000" rx="47.000000" ry="47.000000" style="fill: rgb(28, 223, 0); " />
  <ellipse cx="48.000000" cy="48.000000" rx="39.000000" ry="39.000000" style="fill: rgb(131, 255, 0); " />
  <rect x="46.000000" y="14.000000" width="4.000000" height="70.000000" style="fill: rgb(0, 0, 0); " />
  <rect x="13.000000" y="47.000000" width="70.000000" height="4.000000" style="fill: rgb(0, 0, 0); " />
</g>
</svg>

No problem, I'm sure we can sort that out :)

Could you please consider a way to re-arange the color palette application sort order so I can put my own application palette at the top of the list or at the very least allow a way to define which palette that I would like to have as the default? Or another option would be for there to be a way to create a document palette using the current palette when a document palette doesn't exist.  

Opening any of my over 350+ designs that were created in previous version of AD results in the application opening with the wrong palette (since it was never created with a document palette).  There needs to be some type of backwards compatibility.  

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.