You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Having Trouble Printing at the Correct Size (& a question about fractions)

jai_phoenix

Hi- 

I've searched and didn't find a question similar to this, I'm hoping someone can help

I'm trying to format pages for a mini-binder (which is just an 8" x 11" cut in half)

I need the printed pages to be:

• two pages on each 8" x 11" paper
  • double-sided
  • & printed without the standard size of page borders

When I print from Affinity, or when exporting to a PDF- there is thankfully no issue printing single pages without a border-

...but once the dual-layout option is selected, suddenly large borders are included, and I haven't found a way of disabling them

I'm attaching two images, the first is the regular-sized which works great;

The second is the 2-page layout, where the pages shrink

( I've considered resizing the pages in affinity publisher, and rearranging/reformatting each pair - but realistically with 100+ pages, that would take a long time to do manually.

I bought Affinity Publisher literally for this purpose, so I'm seriously hoping there's a solution, any help is appreciated! )

also:

I love the ease of the typography window!

The tables I'm working with have a lot of fractions - (the computer only recognizes the "regular" fractions, like 1/2, 3/4, etc.

however;

When I try to use the fractions checkbox on a two-digit denominator, it no longer recognizes it as a fraction

(example being 1/16 won't turn into a fraction - the program also won't allow me to use superscript / subscript to create the fraction myself - really hoping this is possible with affinity since it's crucial to what I'll be publishing)

Screen Shot 2021-12-10 at 4.13.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-10 at 4.14.05 PM.png

Edited by jai_phoenix
(added a question)

On 12/10/2021 at 1:51 PM, jai_phoenix said:

The tables I'm working with have a lot of fractions - (the computer only recognizes the "regular" fractions, like 1/2, 3/4, etc.

It is not the computer it is the chosen font which most likely has glyphs for only the "regular" fractions. And there is a preference which is on by default that will substitute the three glyphs ONE SLASH TWO into a single glyph showing 1/2.

Some fonts have glyphs for making the fractions look good, proper sized and placed Super and Sub scripts for 0-9 plus the proper slash. If you use the font with the proper glyphs you have to specify them as you enter the fractions. And you should use them for all the fractions including the 1/2 and 3/4.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff

Hi jai_phoenix,

Welcome to the forums,

In regards to your printing issue please could you tell me if you have any bleed applied to your document at all? If you export to PDF do you find any of the pages shrink etc?

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.