You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Artwork inspired by Pantone colour of the year 2022

William Overington

This evokes memories of Cadbury’s milk chocolate! Is it intended to do so?

How did you create the swirl? It doesn’t look like something you could easily do in any of the Affinity apps.

Edit: For those wondering, it might be worth mentioning that the background colour is PANTONE 17-3938 Very Peri.

Edited by Alfred
Added link

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

10 minutes ago, Alfred said:

This evokes memories of Cadbury’s milk chocolate!

That's what I thought - I think William has been subliminally influenced by Cadbury. ;)

Ali 🙂

Hobby photographer.
Running Affinity Suite V2 on Windows 11 17" HP Envy i7 (8th Gen) & Windows 11 MS Surface Go 3 alongside MS365 (Insider Beta Channel).

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

This evokes memories of Cadbury’s milk chocolate! Is it intended to do so?

No, it is a pastiche of a famous painting, this pastiche is called Very Peri Night if that helps you find the original famous work of art.

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

How did you create the swirl? It doesn’t look like something you could easily do in any of the Affinity apps.

I produced it using PagePlus X7 by drawing a Quickshape. PagePlus X7 has that Quickshape. I made the Quickshape with a border line, put a colourful filled rectangle behind it, filled the Quickshape with white, removed the line, then copied to the clipboard and pasted onto a filled rectangle that overlaps the edges of the Affinity Publisher canvas.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

1 minute ago, William Overington said:

Have you found the famous painting upon which thr pastiche is based?

No - haven't even looked. Not top of my list of priorities, William. ;)

Ali 🙂

Hobby photographer.
Running Affinity Suite V2 on Windows 11 17" HP Envy i7 (8th Gen) & Windows 11 MS Surface Go 3 alongside MS365 (Insider Beta Channel).

12 minutes ago, Hens said:

The performer of the first song inspired the writer of the lyrics of the second song.

Spoiler alert!

https://youtu.be/cTyGLBANuOg

Alfred spacer.png

4 minutes ago, William Overington said:

That is the second song.

It would seem that you found it. You presumably know, then, that @Hens slightly misspoke when saying

48 minutes ago, Hens said:

Also a nice song

45 minutes ago, Hens said:

Which inspired another great song 😉

As @Hens subsequently stated:

42 minutes ago, Hens said:

The performer of the first song inspired the writer of the lyrics of the second song.

In other words it was the performer of the first song, rather than the song itself, that inspired the lyricist.

Alfred spacer.png

2 hours ago, Alfred said:

1 hour ago, William Overington said:

I produced it using PagePlus X7 by drawing a Quickshape. PagePlus X7 has that Quickshape.

It would be good if the Affinity apps had something similar. Perhaps you could export the shape to SVG so that Affinity users would have a vector version to work with (instead of just a PNG image).

1 hour ago, William Overington said:

I made the Quickshape with a border line, put a colourful filled rectangle behind it, filled the Quickshape with white, removed the line, then copied to the clipboard

Did the border line initially help in some way, William, or was it simply that you didn’t think about it at the time and then removed it when you saw that it wasn’t needed?

Alfred spacer.png

11 minutes ago, Alfred said:

It would be good if the Affinity apps had something similar. Perhaps you could export the shape to SVG so that Affinity users would have a vector version to work with (instead of just a PNG image).

Please find attached an svg of the white-filled wider-than-high spiral that I generated in PagePlus X7 for the picture. Please say if something different is wanted as well.

11 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Did the border line initially help in some way, William, or was it simply that you didn’t think about it at the time and then removed it when you saw that it wasn’t needed?

I needed the line because otherwise I would not be aware of whether the spiral was being drawn. I needed to use one of the Quickshape adjustment handles to reduce the swirliness.

William

white_spiral.svg

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

5 minutes ago, William Overington said:

Please find attached an svg of the white-filled wider-than-high spiral that I generated in PagePlus X7 for the picture. Please say if something different is wanted as well.

Thank you. I hadn’t expected such a huge number of nodes, but I suppose I should have! If you convert it to curves in PagePlus or DrawPlus, does it simplify satisfactorily?

8 minutes ago, William Overington said:

I needed the line because otherwise I would not be aware of whether the spiral was being drawn. I needed to use one of the Quickshape adjustment handles to reduce the swirliness.

Looking back at my quote from the post where you described what you did, I see that you made the white QuickShape first and then put a colourful filled rectangle behind it. You wouldn’t have needed the line, of course, if you had drawn the rectangle first and then put the white QS on top.

Alfred spacer.png

!81812345679

Much too cryptic for me, I’m afraid! I can see that it’s a multiple of nine, but that doesn’t really get me anywhere.

Alfred spacer.png

• Staff
2 hours ago, William Overington said:

Have you found the famous painting upon which the pastiche is based?

I think I have ;) 

https://www.moma.org/collection/works/416213

with it's Don Mclean song

All feels kinda circular

Seriously though the Lori Lieberman was stunning and a real tonic to see

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff
1 hour ago, Alfred said:

Bring on the empty chairs!

Oh I see I have been beaten to the punch-line. I get that now

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon