You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Portrait photo position in side (landscape) direction

Hi All,

Can you explain some kind of weird experience I have.

I open a portrait photo in Affinity Photo and everything looks fine, in other words it is a photo in portrait position. Now I import the same photo in Affinity Pubisher and the photo is laying on its side, just as if it were landscape. I do not now if this is clear, but let me explain some more.

The photo is a road with some lightpoles besides it. Now in aPhoto, the road is in its normal position with the cars in normal position. Now importing (placing) the same photo in aPublisher, the road, the cars and the lightning poles are on their sides. If this were the reality, the cars will fall over.

Can anybody tell me, how I can solve this problem? In aPhoto there is nothing to solve, everything is OK. But from the moment I place it in aPublisher (or RagTime), I got that weird image. Because it is in the two applications, this is not a bug but something I did wrong.

The photo is taken with a Canon SX40HD camera by myself and the original is in portrait position.

Thank you so much for your help.

Chris

1 minute ago, Bad_Wolf said:

. Now importing (placing) the same photo in aPublisher, the road, the cars and the lightning poles are on their sides.

What happens if you directly open the image in Publisher?

i.e. File > Open the image

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Hello Carl,

Thank you for your suggestion. I converted the photo originally from jpg to eps format and then opened the photo like you suggested in Publisher.

In this case, the photo is in the correct position like it should be. Any Idea what is wrong when I use "Place..."?

I think that my problem originate from the moment I took it. I looked in the meta information, but cannot find anything wrong.

Have a lovely day.

Chris

I like to add, when I rotate the image frame so that the photo is shown in the correct position, and I change for example the height then it is not the height which changes but the width of the original photo. This gives a small photo.

When I place a landscape image, everything is as expected.

I have no idea, what goes wrong here and in the other application too.

Chris

I like to add, when I rotate the image frame so that the photo is shown in the correct position, and I change for example the height then it is not the height which changes but the width of the original photo. This gives a small photo.

I have no idea, what goes wrong here and in the other application too.

Chris

Sorry to bother again but I found out that when I export the photo in aPhoto to PNG or JPG, that same photo is in the correct position in Publisher and Ragtime.

I have no idea what is wrong but this is a good workaround for me. I still think, the cause is in the camera. Maybe a setting which is wrong?

Have a good day!

Chris

I think the metadata has an Exif Orientation tag which tells the software how to properly display (rotate) the image

Maybe, File > Place is not reading the tag correctly

If you can upload a sample image, that displays the problem, then the support staff should be able to figure out if it needs logging or not

You may want to zip the file, so the forum software does not alter it during the upload

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Thank you again Carl for your suggestion. I tried to attach the original file in a ZIP archive, but it always fail with error 200. Its size is something more than 3 mb which is probably too much.

So I uploaded the original photo to my Google Drive and you can access it with the following link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-zBlImoprl57UAf0hn5eMfa7wYcUGkw7/view?usp=sharing

I succeeded to attach a screenshot coming from Affinity Photo which shows the original orientation.

I do appreciate your efforts to solve my problem.

Chris

Edit: I just downloaded the image from Google Drive again, and it has the same fault.

MetaDataInfo.png

18 minutes ago, Bad_Wolf said:

So I uploaded the original photo to my Google Drive and you can access it with the following link:

Cant access it, it says I need to ask for access

Thanks, it downloads now

If you open the image in APhoto it is correct but if you place the same image on top of that one, the placed image is rotated

Something not right somewhere, hopefully Support will have an answer for you

Thank you all for your replies and your help. I installed ExifTool and tried both the photo here included and a landscape photo. Like Hens, the orientation was 270° CW. But the landscape one was shown as normal. I think it is rather something which went wrong in the camera, because also Ragtime has the same behaviour than Publisher.

I appreciate your efforts to help me so much.

Chris