You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Acquire from Scanner Doesn't Work ...

Didge

Hi,

I'm trying to acquire images from several Epson scanners.

This feature does not seem to work.

In short - there is no dialog and no 'Scan' or 'Show Details' buttons as described in the User guide.

All my scanners works fine with PS and Image Capture, so I know the hardware and connectivity is OK.

When I select 'Acquire Image ...' from the AP file menu, a window opens and my scanners are all listed.

If I click on the generic icon for any scanner, AP briefly displays 'Waiting for scanner ...', then the generic scanner icon changes to an Epson icon - which confirms that AP is communicating with the scanner. AP also displays an 'eject' icon next to the printer - what is this for ???

At the bottom of the page, there is a drop-down menu that displays 'Detect Separate Items', 'Select Enclosing Box', A4, 'US Letter' and 'US Legal'. Selecting any of these items does nothing - and the selection is not displayed after releasing the mouse button.

And the document on the scanner is not displayed.

Is this a bug ?

Gary

15 hours ago, Gary.JONES said:

Is this a bug ?

This feature appears to be broken in many ways:

forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/search/&tags=afp-4487

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

It isn’t just from Affinity, it is also broken from System Preferences in both Big Sur and Monteray to access my HP Scanner. My workaround is to use the Image Capture Macos utility which does still work for me.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

Hi Paul,

By 'System Preferences', do you mean you can't add the scanner as a peripheral ?

That is a bit strange if it still works using ImageCapture.

Im using Mac OS 10.14 - my scanner works fine with everything except AP - something is definitely broken there as the UI doesnt do what it says in the manual.

Also - no response from Affinity on this as yet.

Well - I think I need to order a huge helping of humble pie ...

I just launched AP, and the scanner popped up before I even knew what happened.

Apparently, I was too impatient when AP displayed 'Waiting for scanner' for first time ...

Now it works perfectly  ...

¯\_()_/¯

But - there is one thing that needs to be fixed ...

In the scanner info panel, it lists scanners by the name of the driver software - rathe3r than the PRINTER name.

For networks like mine, I have a zillion Epson WF7620 printers, but when using AP there's no way to tell which is which.

AP needs to interrogate the printer to display its NAME - rather than the name of the driver.

Nevermind. ... I answered my own question. See reply below.

How do I load the scanner driver into AP so that my scanner shows up under the File / Acquire Image menu? Is this mentioned in the user manual?

I'm trying to load the Epson ICA Scanner Driver v5.8.9 for Image Capture driver into AP so that I can acquire my Epson V550 scanner.

TIA for your help with this! _Henry

Edited by Henry E
I answered my own question