You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to convert embedded SVG to actual objects in Designer?

Try to double click on the embedded layer thumbnail image, this should open the embedded one in a new window!

If you want to not have the SVG embedded, first group the layers in the opened embedded shown doc there together, or select all the layers there. Then copy the layers (or group) from there over into your main Designer document.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

2 minutes ago, eobet said:

Then I'm editing the embedded file. I still don't get the actual objects in the document where I dropped it.

See my above comment addition, select all from the embedded one and copy them over into the main doc, afterwards you can remove the emmbeded doc layer if you don't need that anymore as an embedded one too.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

2 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

See my above comment addition, select all from the embedded one and copy them over into the main doc, afterwards you can remove the emmbeded doc layer if you don't need that anymore as an embedded one too.

I tried that, but lost all the internal layers. I had to detatch the document window from the application window, and then drag everything over.

Very cumbersome workaround. I expected just to be able to right-click and choose "explode embedded" or something like that.

If you have the embedded SVG also as a seperate file, you can also "Open ..." that in Designer as an own document then, afterwards select all layers from that opened SVG document and copy them over into the other already open main Designer document. - It's usually just a copy/paste of selected layers between documents.