You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

crashes aaall the time :)

Crashes randomly for just about every single document I am working with. It crashes when trying to do different operations. I cannot see a pattern to it. This started the last couple of days, after win 11 was installed.

This software is just about useless to me at this time. Destroying my creativity, cause I have to restart all the time and probably loose some work. If it continues, I will have to switch software, its a shame because I really, really liked it. A lot more than Photoshop. Are there more people who have had similar issues? So that there is hope that this will be fixed?

Sorry for complaining, really like the software in just about every other way..

Prosessor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz   3.70 GHz
Installert RAM    16,0 GB
Systemtype    64-biters operativsystem, x64-basert prosessor

Versjon    Windows 11 Home
Versjon    21H2
Installert den    ‎05.‎12.‎2021
Operativsystembygg    22000.318
Opplevelse    Opplevelsespakke med Windows-funksjoner 1000.22000.318.0

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
Plus using Cintiq 22 (no touch)

Hello @Nils-Petter Olsen and welcome to the forums.

The only solution at the moment is to deactivate the hardware acceleration. Go to Edit -> Preferences -> Performance and untick it.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

8 hours ago, Komatös said:

Hello @Nils-Petter Olsen and welcome to the forums.

The only solution at the moment is to deactivate the hardware acceleration. Go to Edit -> Preferences -> Performance and untick it.

And there's nothing wrong with doing that (disable acceleration). I disabled that from the very first time it so obviously affected the program, and it's fine. Just fine.

-->honestly, 90% of the comments here are "crashes / slow when I". and the suggestion is always "disable acceleration". Every time.

Affinity should deactivate the hardware acceleration by default and then gently invite people to try it out and see if it works. And when it works a little more reliably make it the default.

3 hours ago, bt1138 said:

Affinity should deactivate the hardware acceleration by default and then gently invite people to try it out and see if it works. And when it works a little more reliably make it the default.

I agree with you. I myself suggested months ago that users should be able to activate hardware acceleration manually as an optional function.

But it remains a decision for the developers. On the other hand, the developers can only improve hardware acceleration if they get as much information as possible about the hardware combinations with which HWA works and those with which it does not.

That is why users should always specify their device configuration in the event of errors, but unfortunately only 2% of all those affected read this note:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/76-report-a-bug-in-affinity-photo/

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

I think that if everyone will just silently turn off the hardware acceleration and "abstain from moaning" it won't help developers to improve hardware acceleration and/or to know about problems with it.

There are known issues with OpenCL on certain AMD cards, there are some issues with Metal on macOS. In general, it is not that easy to maintain consistent GPU utilization and behavior across different platforms with plenty of graphic cards of all sorts. And I really appreciate the efforts Affinity developers put into improving this area in their products.

I believe, we need more topics like this. We shouldn't just accept the fact "oh, okay seems like it doesn't work on my powerful machine, i'll turn it off then, should be fine".

Without hardware acceleration performance is worse. No one can deny that. We shouldn't silently accept the performance loss we're seeing.

Software needs to get all the juices from your system and give you the performance and speed your hardware deserve and actually can provide.

While it may seem to solve your current issues and give you the ability to complete your work, in a much longer and global perspective it is a really harmful advice "just to turn the acceleration off". You have a good CPU and GPU and there's no reason for you to not being able to get all the benefits with hardware acceleration on your system.

Hopefully, Affinity will step up their game in terms of GPU acceleration. I have high hopes for the team and wishing them the very best.

P.S.: Also it may be useful to attach some crash reports here so someone from the team can actually see what's exactly happening with your system at the time application is crashing.

Edited by Alex M

I would submit crash report but I have no idea how.

Yeah I have lost a couple of days worth of work because of this, as every time I lose part of my work it is like losing all of it because the frustration just resets my creative process. That is money that I have lost. Take that into account, and Affinity becomes a bit more costly after all.

Edited by Nils-Petter Olsen

14 hours ago, RichardMH said:

For me, GPU problems freeze AP rather than crash and there's no crash report.

If no crash report is generated, there are problems with a driver, in most cases the one for the graphics card, incorrect system settings or a hardware error. What many people do not think about is the fact that errors in the BIOS can also lead to crashes. Unfortunately, most OEMs that produce laptops and/or ready-to-use PCs offer very poor BIOS support.

And also missing updates for the operating system and corrupted system files can cause crashes.

1 minute ago, Ninjas said:

Where can the crash reports be found?

From the FAQ:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 12/8/2021 at 11:39 PM, Komatös said:

I agree with you. I myself suggested months ago that users should be able to activate hardware acceleration manually as an optional function.

But it remains a decision for the developers. On the other hand, the developers can only improve hardware acceleration if they get as much information as possible about the hardware combinations with which HWA works and those with which it does not.

That is why users should always specify their device configuration in the event of errors, but unfortunately only 2% of all those affected read this note:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/76-report-a-bug-in-affinity-photo/

For me, I can't submit a crash report. It doesn't crash, it just runs    r e    a     l l    y          s    l o w   .

But it never occurred to me that the crash reports were an active part of the bug-fixing effort. So I'm a little more sympathetic to the choice to enable, but perhaps Affinity could be a little more up-front with the whole thing, that you're being used as a test bed. I know, it's hard to do that. A lot of people don't react well to such notions, even if I'm happy to help.

1 hour ago, bt1138 said:

For me, I can't submit a crash report. It doesn't crash, it just runs    r e    a     l l    y          s    l o w   .

But it never occurred to me that the crash reports were an active part of the bug-fixing effort. So I'm a little more sympathetic to the choice to enable, but perhaps Affinity could be a little more up-front with the whole thing, that you're being used as a test bed. I know, it's hard to do that. A lot of people don't react well to such notions, even if I'm happy to help.

There is a beta to play with if you want to help them.

4 hours ago, bt1138 said:

But it never occurred to me that the crash reports were an active part of the bug-fixing effort. ...

Many other companies also use crash reports to make their programmes more stable. And the crash reports for Affinity programmes do not only point to internal programme errors, often the reports also indicate damaged or missing DLLs and other libraries from the Windows system.

Microsoft also collects such data whenever there is a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death). The device configuration is also sent there and stored and evaluated in a huge database.

On 12/8/2021 at 6:55 PM, Komatös said:

/ Windows professional, 64 Bit, 16 GB RAM, Dell 7319, Docking station, 2nd screen
/ application Photo newest version always crases, regardless of the file type I opened .psd, .jpg, .pdf,...
it was opened and after a few clicks it crashed
/ found some posts in the web about the hardware accelleration
-> I could not find, this parameter in the setup,
-> I found  (German OS) "Intel Grafik-Kontrollraum;-)
-> the option "Windows entscheiden lassen" let Windows decide
-> I checked the option "hohe Leistung" GPU(Intel(R) UHD Graphics 
... opposite the recommendation  "disable the HW accelleration) ?

THIS DOES THE TRICK!
see attached screen shot

165204376_Problem_strztdauerndab_2021-12-1210_37_31-Einstellungen.jpg.010451e37b24a23fc8842f05cb71b1f6.jpg

Hello @karlh, welcome to the forums.

The settings for the hardware acceleration are found in the Affinity apps under Edit -> Preferences -> Performance.

Hello @karlh the setting you found is about setting the performance level of the graphics card (i.e. energy saving low performance/speed vs high performance/speed) or to select the built-in GPU vs a dedicated nVidia/AMD GPU. Your solution may fixe some issues where lag etc. is involved and it may solve some crashes but not the ones related to hardware acceleration.

as @Komatös already mentioned, the hardware accelaration is set within the Affinity apps themselves (the same applies to other apps that can use hardware acceleration, control for use/not use is within each respective app).

I'am working now a week with the beta 1.10.5  and hardware acceleration at ON.  
thrue now I have no crashes like 1.10.4  without hardware acceleration, so we are on the right way I think.
The beta is starting up faster then 1.10.4  so far my experiences.

Windows 11 (Home)-build: 23H2- build 22631.2715
-  64 bits. 
11e generatie Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700K @ 32,60GHz.
Ram: 80 GB  DDR4 -3200 Mhz-  34" breedbeeld
GpuGeforce 3060 -12GB  OC-studiodriver: 537-58 - XP-Pen star03 -
mastodon.nl /@digitalvisuals - website:  digitalvisuals.nl

Affinity Photo2 - Designer 1.10-  Publisher 1.10 - ArtRage 6 - Lumina Aurora - ArtRage.

On 12/15/2021 at 9:05 PM, Studio97Visuals said:

I'am working now a week with the beta 1.10.5  and hardware acceleration at ON.  
thrue now I have no crashes like 1.10.4

@Studio97Visuals is lucky that beta 1.10.5 works with hardware acceleration on his system. It doesn't work with mine (Intel UHD 620 gpu). It still freezes at the drop of a hat.

14 hours ago, PeteMacca said:

@Studio97Visuals is lucky that beta 1.10.5 works with hardware acceleration on his system. It doesn't work with mine (Intel UHD 620 gpu). It still freezes at the drop of a hat.

The problem is that there are so many different configurations in the world. ;)

UPDATE:

very strange this morning its working again on 1.10.5.1227 beta. 

-  64 bits. 

Affinity Photo2 - Designer 1.10-  Publisher 1.10 - ArtRage 6 - Lumina Aurora - ArtRage.

Affinity Photo Crashing after it loads

Affinity Photo version 1.10.4.1198

Dell laptop with
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-6100U CPU @ 2.30GHz   2.30 GHz
12GB RAM
480GB 3D NAND SSD (Windows 10 and Affinity Photo installed in this.)
1TB HDD

Edition          : Windows 10 Home Single Language (64Bit, x64-based)
Version         : 21H1
OS build       : 19043.1415
Experience  :  Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0

*) Crashes started  yesterday once. But today it started crashing on every instance of trying to start it.
*) Crashes every time within 20 seconds. (The time to take is random, I did multiple tests.)
*) There is no popup window which shows the previous session had crashed. (Also, I could find any crash report text file in the installation directory.)
*) Crash happen even if I don't do with the system. (ie: Affinity Photo opens, I do not do anything on Keyboard, mouse)
*) Crashes even after windows restart; even after affinity photo is repaired using installer; even after complete re-installation of affinity into a different directory.
*) Open CL is disabled.
*) There are no 3rd party software installed in my laptop as listed in some other crash threads.
*) I have even tried to start affinity is windows 8 comparability mode, still the same issue continues.

(Also, I am not able to attach some screenshots of my Affinity Photo settings.)

@SanalKumarIts frustrating i believe. maby you can try the leatest beta, you can install this one next the 1.10.4  and see if this is working for you

-  64 bits.