You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello, my goal is to make a youtube thumbnail where my object (video console) has an outline. I removed the background from the picture, smoothed the edge and then I added a red outline at the effect panel. The outline is not smooth. Instead it looks distorted - it has many pumps / waves to the edge. There is no option to smooth the outline. How can I achieve a clean outline in Designer or Photo?

Screenshot 2021-12-08 at 17.16.44.png

Screenshot 2021-12-08 at 17.31.42.png

I have no problem with the smoothness of Outline.
image.png.190f273f20cea0cbbc5ed771cf40d392.png

Outline (and of course its shape and smoothness) is based on the shape/edges of the object/image to which it is created.
How smooth do you have background removal? I did it with just one click using the Flood Select tool.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

1 hour ago, HAL90000 said:

I removed the background from the picture, smoothed the edge and then I added a red outline at the effect panel.

I am going to bet that the smoothing introduced the problem.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

It appears that you are outlining an image that was converted to a pixel layer. Pixels are expected to have bumpy edges with an outline effect.

To resolve this, maybe you can trace a vector shape from behind (not visible), and outline that instead.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

@Bri-Toon Yes exactly it is a pixel layer. Was hoping to avoid using a vector shape as this requires an additional tool, but I guess thats the only way how to achieve for now.

@Old Bruce Looks much better on your screenshot. Did you refined your selection after using the flood select tool? I set 50% tolerance at the flood select and I used refine, but the outline looked just marginal better than my original post.

Edited by HAL90000