You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Error messages - I cannot open my file with affinity designer anymore

LeLa

I am working with Affinity Designer to create gardenplans. Now I have problems with my files because I cannot open these any more. There are error messages like annexed or that the file is corrupted. I worked for a really long time on it. I would be very grateful for support.

Fehlermeldung.PNG

Fehlermeldung2.PNG

Edited by LeLa

Hallo @LeLa und willkommen im Forum.

Ich empfehle dir, das Verzeichnis mit den Einstellungsdateien umzubenennen. Drücke hierfür Windows-Taste + R, tippe %appdata%\affinity\photo. Benenne das Verzeichnis 1.0 in z. B. 1.0_bkp. Starte den Designer und prüfe, ob sich die Dateien wieder öffnen lassen.

Wenn dass nicht hilft, wäre meine Frage und Bitte, ob es möglich ist, dass Du uns hier eine der Dateien, die sich nicht mehr öffnen lassen, zum Gegentesten zur Verfügung stellst?

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

Hallo Komatös,

vielen Dank für deine Antwort. Sogar auf deutsch. 🙂

Ich habe es mit dem Umbenennen ausprobiert, es hilft leider nicht. 😞

Wie kann ich dir die Dateien am besten zukommen lassen? Es ist überhaupt nichts geheimes, also sehr gerne. Nur groß sind sie.

1 hour ago, LeLa said:

Wie kann ich dir die Dateien am besten zukommen lassen? Es ist überhaupt nichts geheimes, also sehr gerne. Nur groß sind sie.

Does compressing the file to a ZIP file make the size small enough for uploading on this forum?

You could create a link to a Dropbox/Onedrive/Google Drive etc. file for downloading.

Or you cloud use a service like Wetransfer https://wetransfer.com/ and share the download link here.

1 hour ago, LeLa said:

Beim Umbenennen in 1.0_bkp passiert übrigens Folgendes: Es wird automatisch wieder ein Verzeichnis mit 1.0 angelegt.

Umbenennung.PNG

That is to be expected as that happens with other software as well, but the new folder will contain only the default settings that are used when e.g. installing Designer for the first time. So any custom settings you have made that might cause a problem will be gone, in case the problem is caused by one of those custom settings reverting to default settings my solve it.

Did you check if you were not accidentally using an older Designer version to open the files that may have been created with a newer Designer version, then you could get the same error messages. Otherwise deinstalling and reinstalling Designer might we worth trying in case your install of Designer somehow got damaged.

Oh sorry... Now I understand the meaning of renaming. Unfortunately it did not work. Even after renaming I got the same error messages.
Here is the link for the wetransfer.There are two sample files.

https://we.tl/t-YLTEO0SoW1

I had the problem some time ago with one file. However, I have reconstructed everything. But it doesn't seem to have been unique, so I really need to find out the reason to avoid it in the future.

Thanks very much for your support.

1 hour ago, Arte said:

That is to be expected as that happens with other software as well, but the new folder will contain only the default settings that are used when e.g. installing Designer for the first time. So any custom settings you have made that might cause a problem will be gone, in case the problem is caused by one of those custom settings reverting to default settings my solve it.

Did you check if you were not accidentally using an older Designer version to open the files that may have been created with a newer Designer version, then you could get the same error messages. Otherwise deinstalling and reinstalling Designer might we worth trying in case your install of Designer somehow got damaged.

I don't think that is the problem. I always work with the latest version.

37 minutes ago, LeLa said:

I don't think that is the problem. I always work with the latest version.

Leider hatte ich auch kein Glück deine Dateien zu öffnen. Speicherst Du die Dateien lokal oder in der Cloud?

For the Support Staff: It seems to me, that the file header are corrupted.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Ein Serif Support Mitarbeiter wird hier sicher eine Lösung anbieten können.

No succes here either, not by placing in Designer or trying to open it through Publisher. The message is unsupported file or corrupted file.

Given the size of the files there might be something you could check, I've had virus scanners and file system operations interfere with file operations, i.e. if they coincide with save or copy operations of files and causing corruption.

Another possibility is that there are issues with your RAM memory, which can be infrequent and very hard to detect with common testing, but then you should most likely have corruption issues with other files as well unless you are using Designer most of the time which is then more likeley where it may show up if it happens infrequently. If it only happens with Designer files the problem is probably with Designer somehow.

Thank you very much for your effort. It sounds not very good. I have a backup file from last Saturday when the file was still working. Would this be of any help to you? Otherwise, I'll now sit down and reconstruct the last days of working on the file.  
Still, I really need to figure out the reason so it doesn't happen again in the future.

We can always try to see if it the backup from last Saturday opens properly.

Regarding the possible RAM memory issues, I've had that happen in the past with a RAM module having a defect. The problems were very intermittent and not really repeatable and at some point the system just crashed very badly and couldn't restart nor be repaired properly. Initually tech support said memory was ok, until it crashed badly and they had a more thorough look at the setup, it took the tech support two days of extensive testing to find figure out it were the RAM modules that were causing issues. Even a new set of quality RAM modules had one with a minor defect that caused the problems to happen all over again. The third set was fortunately ok though they did a very thorough test to see if the new set was really ok before returning the pc.

This is something you cannot prevent yourself because it is a hardware issue. If you have multiple relatively minor issues coming up over a longer period of time and you can't pinpoint it to something specific it could be RAM or motherboard issue causing corruption issues etc. though not every program my suffer equally. Sometimes it is clear where the problem is and sometimes you just need to have a computer repair service have a very thorough look at your system to find out if hardware is the cause of the problems.

Btw, if your files are less than 2 GB total (and the files you sent through Wetransfer are) then you should be able to upload it directly into the forum post.

1 hour ago, Powerhorse said:

Läßt sie sich mit Affinity Photo oder Publischer öffnen?

Unfortunately the files don't open with Affinity Photo or Publisher either, not even with the latest beta version in case they might be able to open it because of some fix for another issue.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi @DWright ,

I apologise for not replying until now. I've had a pretty crazy couple of weeks. A thousand thanks for your effort and the repaired file. That helped me a lot. Can I ask how you were able to fix the file? I wonder what the reason was that it could no longer be opened? Maybe you can give me some more information on this? Thank you very much! 🙂