You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

2-page spread - how to save as single pages PDF?

I'm designing a workbook in publisher that will be saved as a PDF. The PDF will be printed by my customers. I want to work with it in a 2-page spread, so that I can set the margins for hole-punching on the right and left sides (so it can be double printed). This way I can see how it's going to look in a 3 ring notebook when everything is printed out.

If I export a 2-page spread to PDF, it only displays as single pages consisting of the 2-page spreads (2 pages per single PDF page). I want the export to display each side of the page spread as a single page. 

If I change my document settings to show single pages, then my nifty blue margins only apply via what was the right side and not the left.

Hopefully I'm making sense! I'm sure there is some simple way of dealing with this that I'm overlooking. 

The screenshot shows how my spreads are exported as a PDF (each 2-page spread is a single PDF page).

Thanks in advance for any help or ideas!

screenshot.jpg

• 5 months later...

Suggestion to Affintiy Publisher -please make the print options more clear. I wondered why I had to choose what pages to print twice. I sorted out the options below in a way that seems to match what I am used to seeing:

First box should be "pages" -as in which pages to print. No drop down box, but right underneath provide a syntax examples for non-consective pages and consecutive pages. (Usually that would be 3,8 for individual pages 3 and 8, and 3-8 for all pages from 3 to 8, but some programs invent their own syntax.)

Second box should be "Print current page", a check box or radio button. No drop down box.

Third box should be "Print selection" with a small graphic representation of a selected area of the page to print.

Fourth box should be options for printing double sided or multiple pages per print page. This should have small illustrations and radio buttons. This should include an illustration for printing facing pages on one page as a spread. That option would be called "booklet". Take a look at how Adobe Acrobat and many opther programs handle this.

Having "all pages" in the  area dropdown list doesn't make sense to me when the very next drop down list is asking which pages to print. All spreads seems the same as "all pages". Current page is typically a standalone choice with radio button right next to "pages" entry box. I would only think of "area" as applying to a selection on a given page. Are there people who choose a particular section of a page and choose multiple pages?

I am really glad for this forum. It makes up for what is a very awkward software interface. I was stunned that my pdf file was printed two pages side by side and then I couldn't make any sense of these options. I've been using PC's since 1990. No interface has been this awkward for doing some of the most basic things. Once I get used to it, it will all seem easy, but here's two feature suggestions:

1. Right mouse click on any menu item, and the help info for that menu item appears. Maybe it just opens the pdf "book" to the relevant section. 

2. When exporting the file -provide a preview, so no surprises when we get printing in booklet mode.

Windows 10, Affinity Publisher 1.10.5.1342, i7-5820k, 6 cores,3.3GHz, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070