You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Smart Object support for exported PSD-Files

Hi,

I noticed that Affinity Photo rasterizes Pixel Layer (Smart Objects) when you export a .psd file. This is really bad when you are working in a Photoshop pipleline where you use smart objects. This issue leads to critical problems. For example: When you are using Affinity Photo in a company to open .psd files (with smart objects) and work with them, then you get in trouble. Someone import the .psd file into Affinity Photo, makes corrections to it and exports this document back as a .psd file. Then all ! smart objects are broken because Affinity Photo rasterize them during the .psd export. And this person don´t know that he/she damaged all included smart objects in this document. This is really a no-go.

Please add this feature in the next versions.

Best regards, Andreas

In case you're not aware, any text objects you have in your file will also be rasterized when exporting to PSD.

The PSD format is not a formal standard for data interchange, and is only partly documented by Adobe, so some aspects of it have to be discovered by reverse engineering. And they are then subject to change by Adobe without notice, and the need to rediscover how they work in newer versions of the Adobe products.

I know that Serif have said they would like to improve their support for PSD, but in all likelihood it will never be perfect, and I have no idea where this would end up in any prioritized list of functional enhancements that are needed in the Affinity suite.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Sorry, but smart objects must be supported + Text + vector objects etc. when exporting a .psd file. You will never use Affinity Photo in a professional environment when it rasterizes smart objects, text and vector objects during the .psd export. This must be highest priority. Other programs can also export .psd files without these limitations.

Edited by Maxwell_HH

• 3 weeks later...

Adobe likely knows this, which is why it hundreds of pages long and full of errors format specs since likely wont be help to many to import/save good completed files. The future adobe file format is likely online cloud first/only, so where does that leave other platforms in collaborative environments? The answer adobe hope for is to be left behind and hopefully ignored and you just use adobe products.

There is nothing Affinity can do about this other then starting to support more open formats like, .ORA (OpenRaster) ... and maybe even .KRA, .XCF.

If there are two different ways of doing something, PSD will do both, in different places. It will then make up three more ways no sane human would think of, and do those too. PSD makes inconsistency an art form. ...

... Unfortunately, some of Photoshop’s most helpful features - like editable text layers - remain undocumented by Adobe.

Krzysztof Kowalczyk: Github/XeePhotoshopLoader.m

https://photodemon.org/2019/02/20/psd-support-now-available.html

Since CS3, I have been regularly reaching out to Adobe, proposing to join forces in some way, as I thought they should be interested in our efforts. Unfortunately, they did not seem to be, or did not have the resources to spare. And with their own scripting environments based on automatic wrapping of native API still not receiving the love and attention to detail it deserves (their API is unstructured and hard to use), I just don't think that Adobe sees the necessity to invest energy there at this time. 

Jürg Lehni: The Future of Scriptographer is … Paper.js!

https://i.liketightpants.net/is/an-awkward-silence-the-adobe-monopoly-in-art-and-design-software?id=244763&the_secret_question=the_secret_answer