You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Infinity loading when exporting on Mac M1

nanasho

I currently using Affinity Designer on Mac Air M1 and almost every time I do export some of my artboard in export view my cursor turn in to loading phase (infinity loading). So I have to Force Quit the software then open again and export again. Even it has infinity loading again after the force quit and reopen the software. it never happen when I use my old mac air with intel processor. What is actually happening and what should I do to get smooth exporting experience as before?

• Staff

Hi @nanasho,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :) 

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble and my apologies for the delayed response here!

Can you please confirm for me, does this happen in any document (including a new, blank document) or does this only happen with one specific file on your M1 machine?

Can you also please provide a screen recording showing the exact steps you are taking before the app freezes?

If you're unsure how to take a screen recording, please see the below FAQ -

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 1 month later...
On 12/6/2021 at 10:30 PM, nanasho said:

I currently using Affinity Designer on Mac Air M1 and almost every time I do export some of my artboard in export view my cursor turn in to loading phase (infinity loading). So I have to Force Quit the software then open again and export again. Even it has infinity loading again after the force quit and reopen the software. it never happen when I use my old mac air with intel processor. What is actually happening and what should I do to get smooth exporting experience as before?

Same issue with me on both the M1 Macs I own. Do you happen to have Google Drive or Resilio Sync installed?

• Staff

Hi @SnapArtboardsToPixels,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

We're aware of a few issues with Monterey and the latest update of Affinity, we've implemented tentative fixes into the latest beta version of the app, so I'd recommend trying this to see if the behaviour persists.

Please find this beta version linked below, this can be installed alongside the retail version, so that you have 2 versions installed at once -

Please do let me know if this helps :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

Sorry to hear this! Can you please provide a copy of your latest crash report(s) so I can investigate this further?

These can be found in Applications > Utilities in the Console app. Crash Reports from our apps can be found in the User Reports section. You can Right Click the required Crash Report and select Reveal in Finder.

Many thanks :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

There is no crash report or spin report and it's never been the app store version, it's (now) the beta version.

I sent in a log last time. It's a bug that causes a endless hang, that does not cause something to show up in the logs. I repoed in on 2 machines with Monterey. So there is something odd going on with OSX and your application, it's getting stuck in some sort of infinite loop waiting for a drive folder to become accessible or something. So this probably isn't your fault, but the lack of a graceful exit or catching of the error is. I've noticed that folder navigation is a little weird on this version of OSX, but other applications have a few seconds of hang and then recover, whereas your application suite crashes every second save.

• Staff

Thanks for letting me know, I can confirm that I have both an iMac and Mac Mini running Monterey, neither of which are exhibiting this issue - so it's likely caused by either your specific files, or your macOS setup locally.

I'd recommend creating a new thread, providing as much information as possible regarding your document (and a copy of this), as well as information regarding your system (mac model, exact macOS version etc) and any additional information such as other apps you have running at the time, the export location - and our team can specifically investigate this further for you.

Many thanks once again :) 

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 1 month later...

I have experienced these kind of crashes weekly. But I'm used to it, its just how affinity designer is. I have used it from the start (couple years) with different Macs. Now using maxed out M1max MacBook and get infinity beach balling  from time to time. I just backup often as it failes to restore sometimes. I also get beach balling when working on basic things. But monitoring CPU shows that its not using it almost at all. I work on very large files with many little pieces and often many artboards are open at the same time...

Affinity is great but the things I work on, it doesn't like :D

- Jarno