You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Fujifilm RAF (RAW) files incorrect color reproduction in Affinity Photo

I recently purchased Affinity Photo, when I use RAW files from my Fujifilm X-T4 camera the colors aren't shown correctly in Affinity Photo. Sometimes white is showed as bright blue and red is green. I've attached an unedited photo opened in lightroom, the scene was slightly yellow in real life from the street lanterns. Does anyone know how to fix this? I've attached the RAW file as well if you want to try it out for yourself.

I've tried to disable hardware acceleration, doesn't change it.

Affinity photo.jpg

DSCF0586.RAF

Your camera is supported, but states...

"FujiFilm X-T4 (uncompressed and lossless compressed only)"

Do you know what compression setting you have set?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Not much color in the photo to work with, once the color cast is neutralized. This is what I came up with. I was going to upload the afphoto file, but for some reason it ballooned to over 400mb, and my internet speed is just to slow to try to upload files that size.

Do you have a camera specific software, made for processing Fuji RAW files? Do your RAW files show the same strong color cast in it? I'm thinking that White Balance may not have been set correct in the camera.

DSCF0586.jpg

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

@BorisFuji Welcome to the forum.

There may be a colour processing issue with APhoto:

• The right hand version is the result when the file is loaded directly into APhoto
  • For the left hand version I pre-processed with file with Iridient X-Transformer and then loaded the resultant DNG file into APhoto

Both files have been developed without any changes.  Note also the colour change of the out-of-focus lamp.  This may be a result of the intermediate processing steps - the camera, Iridient (although I'm not inclined to think this), or APhoto. I have seen issues reported here on the forums with Fuji cameras and blown-out highlights going magenta.

DSCF0586.png

There is no White Balance information in that file according to the Metadata tab in Develop.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I think it's a white balance issue but that's a pretty challenging image

Whilst I don't use APhoto to develop raw images in this case I think it's done a pretty good job regarding colour, I haven't looked  at noise

Dog.jpg

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

The RAW processing engine in AP has a lot to be desired. Comparing to the image I previously posted, here's what LR, an old version was able to do. I did have to convert it to DNG before LR would accept it.

colorcast-01.jpg

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

But what about the fact that the raw file has no White Balance information in its Metadata? Is that not a problem?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

3 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

But what about the fact that the raw file has no White Balance information in its Metadata? Is that not a problem?

Well, Affinity shows no WB metadata. Someone with access to other RAW developers or exiftool might check if it really missing, or just not read by Affinity.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

51 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

Someone with access to other RAW developers or exiftool might check if it really missing

Here's an exiftool dump from the file

DSCF0586.RAF.txt

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

It seems the blue channel is far off from Standard - matching what DWright explained.

White Balance                   : Auto
Saturation                      : None (B&W)
White Balance Fine Tune         : Red +0, Blue +0
WB GRB Levels Standard          : 302 370 861 17 302 628 488 21
WB GRB Levels Auto              : 302 342 1311
WB GRB Levels                   : 302 342 1311

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

• 1 year later...

I have same issue with RAF (uncompressed Fujifilm RAW files) processing from my X-T3. Affinity Photo shifts colors to yellow extremely and I am not able to tune picture close to jpeg produced by camera (AP 2.0.4 on Mac OS Ventura 13.2. On attached picture there is RAF opened in Affinity Photo on the left. Top right is jpeg produced with camera with Provia/Standard setting. Bottom right is RAF opened in Dark Table - much closer to camera jpeg. Best result I have with Fujifilm RAF Studio app. But this is not very comfort way because camera must be connected and switched on during conversion.
Does anyone know what I am doing wrong with Affinity Photo? It is in default settings now. Or is this a bug this strong shift to yellow?
Does anyone same or better experiences with RAF procesing in AP 2? It seems to me hardly usable or unusable now with default settings. Does anyone know what to do to have better results and better starting colour quality after RAF is open?

Thank for any advice.

screen 9.jpg

Hi marrtinr,

Welcome to the forums...

Are you able to upload the RAF file so we can take a look (you may need to ZIP the file first for it to be accepted)...

One thing to try is to disable Apply Tone Curve in the Develop Assistant Preferences in Photo. You can also try switching between the Serif and Apple RAW engine settings in the same dialogue and then reopen the RAW file and see how that affects the results you see...

1856997373_DevelopAssistant.png.d52b2939153271a48b31ea12ae24bcea.png

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

One option is to use the free Capture one Express for Fujifilm to do the raw conversion and send a tiff to photo. Iridient X Transformer is another option but its not free. 

I've used Capture One Express for Sony quite a lot in this way as it handles highlights better than Photo.

2 hours ago, Hangman said:

Hi marrtinr,

Welcome to the forums...

Are you able to upload the RAF file so we can take a look (you may need to ZIP the file first for it to be accepted)...

One thing to try is to disable Apply Tone Curve in the Develop Assistant Preferences in Photo. You can also try switching between the Serif and Apple RAW engine settings in the same dialogue and then reopen the RAW file and see how that affects the results you see...

Thanks for reply. I am attaching zip with RAF and also desired jpeg. Trying disable Tone Curve has no effect and result still tends to yellow. Switching from Serf RAW engine to Apple RAW engine give result much closer to desired jpeg. Still not perfect but much better. Fujifilm RAF Studio app is still better choice when I have my camera with me.

Archiv.zip

1 hour ago, RichardMH said:

One option is to use the free Capture one Express for Fujifilm to do the raw conversion and send a tiff to photo. Iridient X Transformer is another option but its not free. 

I've used Capture One Express for Sony quite a lot in this way as it handles highlights better than Photo.

Thanks for your advice. Sure I'll try Capture one. Hope it will be good solution for editing when my camera is not with me and Fujifilm RAW Studio is therefore unaviable for me.
Pity that Affinity Photo handles RAF imperfect. I thought upgrade from ver. 1 to ver. 2 give me all in one tool. Even so I like Affinity apps.