You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.3.5.14 - RC4)

• Staff

Purpose: Improvements / Fixes 

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Designer
Mac App Store: Not Submitted
Download: Here

To use this beta, simply download the file from the link given above and double-click on the file to open the installer. Follow the instructions to install the beta version. The beta sits alongside the Mac App Store version and will not interfere with it. Please note that if you use features which are only present in the Beta version then save your document, it will no longer open in the Mac App Store version.

This is a Release Candidate build. It is our intention to submit this for review to Apple in the first week of December. Any help you could offer to stabilise and refine the product at this stage will be very gratefully received    :)  We won't be implementing any new features now for this version and we will be focusing on stabilising the product for the immediate future. We will obviously start adding more features again as soon as this update goes live.

Improvements / Fixes

- Chinese (Simplified) localisation.

- Help improvements (including localisations).

- Bleed support for artboards.
- More small artboard issues fixed.

- Fixed grey artefacts when zooming.
- Fixed terrible problems when multiple documents with different RGB profiles are open.
- Fixed font fallback for certain scripts (Korean, for example).
- Improved export progress reporting.
- Fixed tab bar issues when many documents are open.
- Node Tool performance fix.
- Printers marks improvements.

I realize that you said there won't be any new features in this release but I had a question on how canvas gesture support works. Does it only rotate by 45 degree increments? It looks like that is the only way it works. If that is the case I would really, really like Photoshop style canvas rotation that can rotate to any degree.

Are bleed marks viable on the screen? I set bleeds under document preferences but I don't see anything. I see the bleed option under print; is that the only way to view the bleeds? To print the document?

Bleed marks (and the bleed area itself) is currently only for printing and PDF export, not for screen. We'll add on-screen support in a future update (which may be after Christmas now).

Can't wait to see the 1.4 updates show up in the Mac App Store soon.  :wub:

Hardware
 Mac mini (late-2014), 2.6GHz, 16GB RAM, Intel Iris 5100 Graphics  iPad Air 16GB White

Software I love, and you should get :wink:
Affinity Desinger - Affinity Photo - Sketch - Coda - CodeKit - iA Writer - Dropbox - 1Password

First of all I'm loving using AD, and the speed of development is amazing!

One glitch spotted, create 2 artboards - pick one up and move it to the other side of the other one, or above it and there's a flash. Undo that and the artboards are a bit messed up, zoom in and back out fixes that.

Also one thing I'd prefer - hiding an artboard hides its contents but not the artboard itself. You can hide the contents without hiding the artboard, so would be preferable if hiding artboard did exactly that.

Also typing artboard here without it being corrected to dartboard would be nice  :)

I've run into an issue when selecting fonts from the Character Studio panel—at least in some instances—for instance at the moment I've been using the Capitolium News font, synced via Typekit—and when selecting from the Studio panel I can only select the regular weight, or else attempting an alternative switches it to a random font. However when selecting the font family from the top contextual toolbar, I'm able to view and select all available weights. I'm assuming this may have something to do with the new fallback features.

Still the same issue with this Beta as in previous.  The application always defaults to gray swatch pallet when switching between documents.

Even when you try to set a default swatch pallet for a particular type of color profile, the setting doesn't stick.  

Please fix this before the MAS version.

• Staff

Kip,

This may sound obvious, but are you using an Apple trackpad/touchpad to do the rotation gesture? I noticed you said you have a Wacom device - if you're using this to try to rotate then that is where your problems are coming from as the device does not support Apple-style gestures properly - try upgrading to the latest drivers and it may work, but I'm not sure... I think our Intuos 4's touch ring generates Apple gestures (albeit very coarse ones at large rotation increments) when I set it to canvas rotate mode...

Would that make any sense?

Matt

Snapping doesn’t work for artboard edges unless there is an item on the artboard already.

I got some weird bug with grouping from time to time where if I have a group and some other items, when attempting to group all, the smaller group shifts position.

If the Artboard is empty I can drag it around with the move tool. I should only be able to move the artboard with the artboard tool unless dragging it’s name.

UI Designer, CG Artist

Macbook Pro 15" 2014

2.5 Ghz, 750M

https://www.behance.net/VladMafteiuScai

“Zeichenfäche” … :huh:   

Add an “l” after the “f” and you get “Zeichenfläche” … However, this word seems a bit generic to me: A single non-artboard document also has something you could call Zeichenfläche.

Which once again makes me question the advantage of distinguishing between an artboardless document state and a state including both. I noticed there is a radio button now in document setup, but why not ditch the artboardless state altogether? There may be an advantage, though, I just cannot see it.

Concerning wording: Why not name that one topic that lives in the Preferences panel and resets different assets just like this: “Reset”? “Miscellaneous” could be anything.

Also I think the two modes of choosing – forward/backward arrow and Apple Preferences style overview – are not wisely chosen. They involve too much clicking/dragging. Why not make a vertical list on the left side and/or forward/backward arrows that just cycle through the topics? The forward/backward implementation you chose is better suited for more complicated hierarchies and doesn’t help here where there are just seven hierarchically linear targets. As the Preference panel is now it’s too much guesswork and too many clicks.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.