You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Color Grade ( Mean ) Stack Macro(s)

T V

Thanks for creating and sharing the macro (although I'm not sure it does what I had expected it to do, namely no effect on the original image after execution of the macro - but, it could be that you have to rasterise and select the original layer first)!

Affinity Photo - Affinity Designer - Affinity Publisher | macOS Sonoma (14.2) on 16GB MBP14 2021 with 2.4 versions

2 hours ago, RNKLN said:

Thanks for creating and sharing the macro (although I'm not sure it does what I had expected it to do, namely no effect on the original image after execution of the macro - but, it could be that you have to rasterise and select the original layer first)!

The macro is not intended to change the original layer. It creates a color grade group template for Recolor, B&W, & Brightness/Contrast.  After changing the (Live Stack Group) mode to ( Mean ) the Recolor Adjustment is noticeable.  Starting from a single Background image it is working fine.   I will post an update to see if I can fix your problem.  - T V

Not sure about this macro. When I have the image selected and not selected it produces the following results:

image.png.b0daade8705ca0e98844813add903fb1.png

image.png.2034d13668dff3e7c1dcec4b0ad08957.png

The first one looks like the one that is needed, however, when I make changes nothing happens (probably because the two layers with the original image block the results).

Affinity Photo - Affinity Designer - Affinity Publisher | macOS Sonoma (14.2) on 16GB MBP14 2021 with 2.4 versions

5 minutes ago, RNKLN said:

Not sure about this macro. When I have the image selected and not selected it produces the following results:

image.png.b0daade8705ca0e98844813add903fb1.png

image.png.2034d13668dff3e7c1dcec4b0ad08957.png

The first one looks like the one that is needed, however, when I make changes nothing happens (probably because the two layers with the original image block the results).

One thing you can try is to lock all layers that you have and position the image layer to the top and run the macro.  I have been experiencing image corruption from running macros on images and trying to reset the history.  You can try to restart the program and or machine to see if that helps.  Otherwise the V2 should be good for you!  No more Select All unless I can't help it and will come with disclaimer.  Thanks for the feedback...it's a good one and thought it would be good to share!

Actually, when initially the macro didn't produce the expected results I thought it was due to layers being locked (I opened an existing image rather than placing it in a new document, so it became locked automatically). Then I started taking the other approach which caused what I shared with you.

Later, I followed your advice of both locking and re-starting AP. It looks like that made the macro work (of course I don't know if re-starting had an effect or that it is the locking of the layer).

Anyway, I now tried to see how the macro worked in case I open an image (rather than placing) and it produces slightly different results. I've included them.

Anyway, I appreciate you sharing your macro and even more spending additional time trouble shooting. Don't bother too much since there's always the instructions in the video.

image.png.f7e4c36edcbd04d15db8cb5ce355f1a5.png

On 12/7/2021 at 12:47 AM, RNKLN said:

Actually, when initially the macro didn't produce the expected results I thought it was due to layers being locked (I opened an existing image rather than placing it in a new document, so it became locked automatically). Then I started taking the other approach which caused what I shared with you.

Later, I followed your advice of both locking and re-starting AP. It looks like that made the macro work (of course I don't know if re-starting had an effect or that it is the locking of the layer).

Anyway, I now tried to see how the macro worked in case I open an image (rather than placing) and it produces slightly different results. I've included them.

Anyway, I appreciate you sharing your macro and even more spending additional time trouble shooting. Don't bother too much since there's always the instructions in the video.

image.png.f7e4c36edcbd04d15db8cb5ce355f1a5.png

Yes, the new version produces a complete group thru the merge visible command.  It can be applied from any layer and does not rely on any locked layers since the commands are all stacked and do not use select all layers command as was used in the first.  That version needed to be placed on the image layer as locked.  It all does make a huge difference.  Using the merge visible command grabs everything that is visible and makes its own copy so that could influence your results as well.  This is the process sometimes of working out the "bugs" not that the first version was faulty.  It is just how it will be used...ie, an image layer even locked does not have the same color information that a .jpg image has and may not be able to work with a specific macro.  Some of these stacks are getting a little complicated in a good way!