You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A few questions and maybe a request or two?

Just a few questions about things that were brought up before in other threads but I couldn't find a definite answer. My number one question pertains to the scrubby zoom. Is there a preference setting that we can unclick to turn it off so that we always get the old style of zooming without having to use an extra modifier key? I know that this has been discussed before but I can't seem to find any place that has any settings to turn off the scrubby zoom. I know that some people like it but I can't stand it. I always download and play around with the betas but when I'm working, I still use the Mac App store version 1.2.1 (yes, it is old) just because I can't stand the scrubby zoom. The betas have a lot of extra goodies compared to the old Mac App store version but I still prefer the old version simply because the old zoom behaviour is so much better and more efficient (at least for me and for many others too I would imagine). I have tried to using the scrubby zoom, hoping that it would grow on me but it hasn't. It is nice that we can use a modifier key to get the old behaviour back but it would be even better if there was a preference setting to decide which one we would like to use. Maybe there is a setting in the latest beta but I can't seem to find it. Are there any plans to add such a preference setting? 

My second question is about a Fill shortcut key. I love that we are able to customize shortcuts, that is the easiest way to make everyone happy. The only problem right now is, there are some things which we can't assign a shortcut to because they aren't even a menu option. I know that MattP talked about adding a fill shortcut before but I haven't seen it and I can't find it. I was surprised to see that there are settings for a shortcut for Set Fill to 50% Gray but not one for just Fill? The thing that I do more than anything else in a vector app is fill shapes with a color so this would be a major efficiency booster. It saves so much mousing. Currently I use the "paste style" but it would be better to just have a shortcut for fill. There isn't even a menu item for Fill in Designer but there is in Photo, why is this? Of course I use the fill command in Photo (and in Photoshop too) but I use fill in Designer even more.

Speaking of missing menu items, I'm sure that you guys are tired of hearing me beg for a "Hide/Show All" command but would it be possible to add it as an option in the shortcuts and then let the user decide if they want to use it or not? Being able to Hide/Show All items without having to hunt through a layer stack is so incredibly powerful and useful. It would save me so much time not having to weed through the layer stack all the time trying to find objects that were hidden. For me (and many others like me who have come to Designer from Illustrator) the ability to Hide/Show All with a keystroke is a godsend. I begrudgingly sometimes still use Illustrator because of this feature. 

Thanks in advance for any answers and thanks for taking the time to read my questions (and requests),

Hokusai

• Staff

Hi Hokusai,

I've moved this thread into the feature request forum for now. Unfortunately, due to us being in UI and feature lock down for the release, it will be too late to implement most of those items. But thanks for letting us know and we take it into consideration for the next beta. Sorry for the wait, we just have so much to do. :)

Speaking of hunting for layers in the layer panel: One small feature that would make working with complex documents much easier is the option to auto-scroll to the selected object. There are probably times when you don't want to lose your place in the list, and thus this might make a better toggle within the panel as opposed to a global application preference, but however it might be implemented, it's definitely on my wishlist!

Andrew,

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong thread, thanks for moving it. Can you answer any of my questions? They are all things that have been discussed before but I didn't read a definite answer and so I was just curious about their status (especially the zoom preference and the fill shortcut). The Hide/Show All is something that I have been requesting from the beginning (back in November 2014) and I was hoping that you guys might have warmed up to the idea (as it is such a time saver, not to mention it saves a lot of extra mousing). 

Thanks in advance,

Hokusai

Clayton,

I completely agree with you. I spend way to much time hunting through the layers palette in Designer and I too would like to make this easier and more efficient. I like your suggestion!

Hokusai

AshTeriyaki,

Great suggestion. If there was a shortcut for "hide others" it would be nice.You can do that already in Illustrator and it could also easily be done in Designer if it had a "hide" command by selecting all and then simply unclicking the item you want to isolate and then hit hide but a "hide others" would be more efficient. In Illustrator I most often use the Hide command in conjunction with more advanced Select Options (which haven't been added to Designer yet but I would imagine that they will be sometime in the future). So if you did a Select-Same Fill and then Hide, it would hide all the objects that were the color that you had chosen. The Hide/Show all is a huge timesaver and it is very powerful on its own but when used with advanced select options it makes things even more powerful. 

Hokusai