You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Stacking without tracking

Hi folks,

As I understand from reading, it is possible to do astrophotography without using tracking equipment. This would require taking a large number of photos at high ISO and sufficiently short times (500/FL in sec) so that no star trails result. Would Affinity Photo be able to successfully stack such photos?

Thanks for your advice

Irving

Yes, within some limits.

The source images need enough structure to be able to align the images.

If source images become so noisy that noise and stars are indistinguishable, Affinity won’t rescue.

I made multiple stacks even before Astro-stacking was introduced.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

I would recommend to just give it a try.

We had a report where user tried to stack images taken in 2012 with a very noise Sony APSC and  f8 mirror objective. 
This did not work well, based on insufficient source image quality

My own experiments with 2016 EOS 80D gave quite good results. There is no hard limit. What is holding you back ?

You may read this post and download the Sony / Canon RAW files, to see what I mean.

Its only about stacking for noise reduction, not for alignment. It should only show examples of sufficient/ insufficient images. 

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

12 hours ago, irandar said:

As I understand from reading, it is possible to do astrophotography without using tracking equipment.

Sure it's possible. Walking from Berlin to Moscow is also possible. ;)

If you concentrate on the moon, you won't need any tracking mount. Jupiter and Saturn may also come into reach.
It is also possible to do some more basic astrophotography without - but it's like walking from Berlin to Moscow, with the results usually being "suboptimal", politely expressed.
If you love this hobby, do yourself a favor and invest in a tracking mount, there's inexpensive solutions providing you far more observation and general comfort and allowing longer exposure times (but don't expect being able to do minutes of exposure).

But your first step should be achieving sharp, focused pictures without excessive noise and grain - see thread linked by NotMyFault. :)