You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

So I'm trying to rename a layer but as I'm renaming my layer I'm being exited out of the renaming process because the letters that I'm typing for that layer are activating the keyboard shortcuts of the app. How do I disable this? Is this a known issue? I was going to name my layer "Hardcover Journal." So when I typed in "Hard" and then typed the letter "c" the app activated the corner tool. I dont want that. I'm trying to rename layers. How do I solve this? How do I separate keyboard shortcuts from activating when renaming a layer/artboard?

And sometimes it wont even be a letter thats activating the keyboard shortcut. The app will just exit me out of the renaming process just because it wants to, and I have to double tap the name of the layer to begin the renaming process again. Which will then exit me out again and its this game of tag. This game of "no, you!"

4 hours ago, MoonaticDestiny said:

I'm trying to rename layers.

How specifically are you trying to do this? You should be clicking once on the text field part of a layer in the Layers panel after that layer is selected, or double-clicking on it if it is not currently selected. That should open up the text field with a blinking cursor ready for you to type in the desired name. Unless you click somewhere else after you start this, the focus should remain on the name field & none of the keyboard shortcuts should be activated.

Also, you said "double-tap" instead of double-click, which makes me wonder if you are working with the iPad version of the app.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 hours ago, R C-R said:

How specifically are you trying to do this?

I'm just trying to create several artboards for different product design sizes. 

3 hours ago, R C-R said:

double-clicking on it if it is not currently selected. That should open up the text field with a blinking cursor ready for you to type in the desired name.

Its double click. I double click the layer and my textfield appears.

3 hours ago, R C-R said:

the focus should remain on the name field & none of the keyboard shortcuts should be activated.

My textfield is highlighted so I'm ready to type. I'm not anywhere else so when I start typing I'm exited out of the text field. I'm kicked out of it based on what letters I'm typing. Its really weird. I just want to rename my artboard. 

4 hours ago, R C-R said:

"double-tap" instead of double-click

I meant to say double click. I'm not on an ipad. I'm on an imac. Thats why I posted this post of the affinity for Desktop forum. My mistake.

I've tried to replicate this even though I'm not on a imac or mac, and simply can not. Once the Layer's Label Text field has focus, no matter what I do, the focus stays there. No other tool or shortcut is recognized. I even tried using all the various modifiers.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

2 hours ago, Ron P. said:

Once the Layer's Label Text field has focus, no matter what I do, the focus stays there.

Something is going on when the text field is highlighted. I could type nothing while the text field is highlighted and it will still exit me out of the text field. The textfield turns off when it wants to and when it turns off while I'm typing whatever letter I last typed activates the keyboard shortcut of that letter. So my textfield is turning off when it wants to. Sometimes I'm able to type out what I want to rename my layer. Sometimes I'm cut off mid typing and have to double click the layer again to contine my renaming. And then sometimes when I've selected my text field to start typing, the text field exits me out before I could even type anything. So this text field is turning off at random on me. Its so frustrating.

The worst part about it is I'll backspace the name of the current layer to rename it so because the text field exits me out of renaming my layer when I double click it to rename it, it deletes my whole layer because the app recognizes me hitting backspace to delete my layer when really I was just trying to backspace the name of the layer to rename it and I wasnt fast enough to hit backspace to rename my layer because the text field exited me out and the app registers backspace as me wanting to delete my layer. Its so, so frustrating. 

The text field isnt focusing. Its unfocusing on me and I know it is because I'm not typing or moving anything. I could have the text field highlighted and the highlighted text field exits on me even though I didnt type or move anything. Its just unfocusing. Its this game of tag where I have to be fast in renaming my layer before the text field unfocuses and exits me out. 

• Has this been occurring for sometime, or just start?
    • If it just started happening, what changed recently?
  • I'm guessing this is happening in Designer, correct?
    • What version?
  • Do you also have Affinity Photo? Does it happen in that app too?
  • Is the project where this is occurring, a new project, you created from scratch?
    • Have you tried creating a new project to see if the problem is still there?
  • Have you experienced this or something similar in any other app?
  • Are you using just a keyboard with a mouse, or do you use other I/O devices such as a Pen Tablet?
    • Is your keyboard wired or wireless?
      • IF wireless have you tried placing fresh batteries in it?
  • What OS version are you running?
    • Did you recently update it?

So far I think you're the first to report this sort of issue using one of Affinity apps. I would think that if it were a problem with the app, there would be more people reporting it.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

1 hour ago, MoonaticDestiny said:

Something is going on when the text field is highlighted.

What it should look like is a highlight outline around the text field, but the interior of the field itself should not be highlighted with the same color as the outline around it. There should also be a blinking text cursor in the field.

Is this what you see?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Hi @MoonaticDestiny,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble! Can you please provide a screen recording showing the behaviour you're seeing? As mentioned above, this is the only report I've seen of this issue and I'm not able to replicate it here currently.

If you're unsure how to take a screen recording, please check out our FAQ linked below - 

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Any mouse/keyboard third party tools? 

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

11 hours ago, MoonaticDestiny said:

So my textfield is turning off when it wants to. Sometimes I'm able to type out what I want to rename my layer. Sometimes I'm cut off mid typing and have to double click the layer again to contine my renaming.

I can confirm this experience, too. Unfortunately I can't recognize any specific cause or meaningful rule yet since the issue doesn't occur reliable.

This issue was recently reported in the Designer Bug forum, it got noticed by a Serif moderator but appears not to be logged, the moderator wasn't able to reproduce it. You might want to add your experience there (as bug), possibly with a link to this your thread.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

13 hours ago, Ron P. said:

Has this been occurring for sometime, or just start?

•  

I'm a new affinity user. I just bought affinity designer on black friday. I installed the latest version of it. I'm on an iMac from 2009. I'm running MacOS Sierra 10.12.6. This has been going on since I installed the app last friday. I dont have affinity photo. Just the latest version of affinity designer. This is happening on a new document I created and its still happening in every other document I create. This is only happening in affinity designer. Not any other app I have. I'm using a wired keyboard. I DO NOT have a pen tablet connected. I have a bluetooth mouse and a shuttle pro v2 by contour connected. 

2 hours ago, thomaso said:

You might want to add your experience there (as bug), possibly with a link to this your thread.

I dont know how to do that. I'm new to these forums but yes. Thats exactly whats going on. You have no time to rename your layer and mid renaming of your layer the app automatically returns and exits you out of the renaming process. 

35 minutes ago, MoonaticDestiny said:

... You have no time to rename your layer and mid renaming of your layer the app automatically returns and exits you out of the renaming process. 

For what it is worth I have never seen anything like this. I use a wired USB keyboard, are you using Bluetooth?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

When all else fails do as Roy says "Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

From The IT Crowd. A great show.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

6 hours ago, Dan C said:

Can you please provide a screen recording showing the behaviour you're seeing?

Here is a screen recording of whats going on. Let me know if you can see the video. In the video, I'm renaming my artboard "This is an artboard." Thats all I'm typing and watch how the app cuts me off mid typing of the word "This." And also watch the keys I'm pressing at the bottom of the screen. I never, EVER typed the return key on my keyboard. It is the app that is pressing the return key and its exiting me out of the textfield. I used a red arrow to indicate where the return key is being pressed so look out for the red arrow to show the return key. Again, I never pressed the return key throughout this video. All I typed was "This is an artboard" on my keyboard. The app is "automatically hitting return" as some on said above. 

• Staff

Many thanks for your recording, this is exactly what I was hoping to see!

I can confirm I'm able to replicate this issue here and it's been reported to our developers previously - interestingly it seems to be caused by the speed at which you start typing when editing the artboards name.

For example, if you double click to edit and immediately begin typing, this happens almost every time. However if you double click to edit the layer name and then wait for a second or so before typing then this doesn't seem to happen...

I'll be sure to update the development log with this information now and hopefully this can be fixed in an upcoming release.

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff
17 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

From The IT Crowd. A great show.

it crowd maurice moss GIF  

A personal favourite of mine :D

Please note -

Many thanks!

1 hour ago, MoonaticDestiny said:

yes but I dont think thats it. You would think it is but no. I think it is the app thats doing all this. 

This was in response to 

2 hours ago, Pšenda said:

Any mouse/keyboard third party tools? 

I would suggest that you turn off or delete the third party app.